Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what to do anymore! All my mice are getting sick with sneezing and breathing infections. I have no way to cull the ones that are and I dont know what to do! I dont have a
chamber as I have no money to get one and dont even know the first place to go and what is exactly the right thing.
Now my herefords are sneezing!!! :cry: I'm so upset they're my babies they're so lovely and I dont want to have to put them to sleep ( not that i have facilites too)
too many of my mice are with the same problem so I cant take them all to the vet!
One of my does is pregnant and she hasnt been infected as of yet I've been very carful to wash my hands ever time i hold her but still I really dontwant the babies to get sick when they
come one of the babies is sneezing a little from my other litter and i dont know what to do anymore. All the ill ones are in there own cages. im lost for ideas wen i dont have a chamber :( and even so it will probably result in all of my mice dying :(
HELP PLEASE!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles :( I had a similar thing with my rats a few years ago. The first thing I did was put the rats showing no symptoms in the bedroom, the sneezy but not actually sick ones went in the dining room, and the sick ones (about 70% of my stock at the time) stayed in the rattery. I washed and disinfected myself between each room, kept the doors shut and windows open and I was medicating like crazy (took me about 2 hours every morning and night for two weeks to syringe feed the medicine) but I cleared it. I lost about 12 rats in the end, and the ones in the bedroom didn't get sick at all.

However, nowadays I would cull all the sick ones and not spend all that time and money medicating, but I would medicate the best and youngest ones to save the line and not lose all my doves. I would suggest you first seperate the pregnant doe not showing symptoms into a seperate room and put her in a completely disinfected and clean cage and either get a CO2 pump from a cycle shop, a tupperware and a tube and cull your sickest mice, or see if someone close by can do it for you. I would, but I'm very far away :( You can try and medicate the least sick mice and hopefully that'll work. Whatever you do it's going to cost money, and the CO2 chamber and tupperware will be most likely cheaper than medicine. If you can't get on the culling forum pm a moderator as there is a guide to making a chamber.

Sorry I can't be of more help and good luck, it's a horrible situation :(

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you say sick do you mean clearly breathing badly like rattling as only one has that at the moment the rest are just sneezing :cry:
and what would you use to medicate them?
And whats the difference between sniffling and sneezing in mice :?

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
To me, sick means fur stuck up, listless behaviour, and generally looking unwell - these I would cull immediately as you very rarely bring them back from being that ill.

Sneezy but not actually sick means the mouse is behaving normally and looks fine but is sneezing/rattling etc - if they were all medicated soon enough they'd probably make it, although personally I would cull all but the best of them.

I used Septrim with a prescription from the vets, as if you have an actual outbreak a homemade remedy is not likely to stop it in time.

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
You should also try and find out why they're getting ill - it might be too drafty where they're being kept, perhaps, or too humid - you need to experiment to find out what might be causing the problem, as it is often environmental and if you don't figure it out it will keep reoccuring.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
SarahY said:
To me, sick means fur stuck up, listless behaviour, and generally looking unwell - these I would cull immediately as you very rarely bring them back from being that ill.

Sneezy but not actually sick means the mouse is behaving normally and looks fine but is sneezing/rattling etc - if they were all medicated soon enough they'd probably make it, although personally I would cull all but the best of them.

I used Septrim with a prescription from the vets, as if you have an actual outbreak a homemade remedy is not likely to stop it in time.

Sarah xxx
sarah do u use septrin in tablet form, if so.. how do u give a dose.
im trying to build up and find out as much info as poss of medicating mice as my vet is a complete tit and wont prescribe anything. x

·
Registered
523 Posts
Just wanted to say Im sorry :( Were in exactly the same position at the moment-typically all our best and youngest mice are ill with it and were left with the elderly or those we dont need. I know how hard it is, our mousery is in real trouble at the mo

Weve moved all those showing symptoms into the garage and are treating, but the numbers are so high now and some are so ill that we will begin culling this weekend I think to prevent further spread/suffering. Well cull those who are rattling loudly with ruffled fur and generally look miserable, and keep treating those we think have a chance

Good luck, I really hope its resolved soon for you

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you so much.
it makes it so much harder for me as I live in shared accommodation so I only have one room to myself!!
Also the flat is quite damp which I'm guessing doesn't help.
I'm really upset at the moment as, as you said typically its all of my favourites that have come down with this.
I've moved the worst ones to my mums for the time been until I can get facilities to put them out of their misery but
the others I don't know what to do with and I think they do have a chance I just don't know what to give them that might help.
I would hate myself if I had to put them down also, I fear the worst may have to happen, but I would still
like to try, they are my babies I love them very much :cry: :cry:
Can I ask pete what you use to treat yours??
and I would also like to know about septrin

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Septrim is a banana flavoured human antibiotic for chest infections and things like that. It worked wonders, but you have to feed each animal the correct dose which is best done by syringing it into their mouths from the side into the opposite cheek (straight down their throats could choke them).

ETA: If your vet won't prescribe it, ask for a waiver form to sign, which will pass the responsibility of death/more illness due to wrongful medicating to you and and away from the vet. If they won't even do that, find another vet!

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
584 Posts
Really sorry to read of your hard time :( Vinegar and bicarbonate of soda mixed together will also produce carbon dioxide if you need a cheap and easy source.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I found a website that will prescribe Septrin (paediatric solution) without a prescription. I cant find the website but will keep looking and will let you know.

I got my last bottle from my vet for my guinea pigs. He gave me a whole bottle but it cost me £50 but I have been treating all my animals with it and it has saved me at least that in vet bills.

I have limited faith in vets at the moment :cry:

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I'm also very sorry that this has happened to you but if you breed mice and practice a no cull policy it is inevitable no matter how well you care for them.Your cages will quickly become full of mice that can't be bred from and your hobby will grind to a halt.It's understandable not to want to cull healthy individuals based on how good a colour or whatever they are but sick ones either have to go or be kept on as pets which then uses up the space for breeding healthy stock.Its a choice really between being a breeder with the problems of unhealthy ones cropping up on a regular basis or enjoying them as pets where as long as they have quality of life, less than perfect ones can be nurtured.I don't think the two can go together perfectly as people would like.Sorry to sound harsh but it is a cruel fact that mice are prone to these illnesses and most of us have suffered your current situation and found no happy ending.Antibiotics might save a few but more will come along and square one will be reached :cry:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These mice are my pets. I don't have a no cull policy I just haven't got the facilities as of yet to cull older ones :( .
I've only had one litter ever so I don't really count myself as a breeder yet as I am still a beginner.
But I do understand what you mean. And I would cull any that are really sick but these are just sneezing so I'm praying there
might still be some hope left if I can get something from my vets.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I agree with Sarah - if you are to breed you will come across these situations and it's up to you if you choose to cull or not. If you don't however you do risk it spreading and being in a worse situation. If you decide to keep pets only and treat then of course you will still lose mice but you will also keep animals that for a number of reasons a breeder wouldn't keep (e.g. they're weak, they have lifelong problems or symptoms due to the illness etc) but can live out their lives, albeit not in peak condition. There's nothing wrong with keeping your pets despite some problems, I think as long as you are realistic about their quality of life and put them down if necessary that's fine, it just isn't practical if you are breeding on any scale.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm coming to the conclusion that I may just put them all to sleep :cry:
I'm so sad about this and its the hardest decision I've had to make.
I just wanted to know if anyone else has had to do this, even if they seem healthy otherwise?
Keeping in mind I love these mice very much they're not breeding stock etc.
I just feel very bad, if I'm to do so, when they seem fine other than the sneezing.
And I would feel even worse if I was to do so and it still didn't help the situation.
Is it possible that others my be infected but not showing signs?
And does anyone know if this is airborne or be passed by contact?

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
there is some suggestion that all mice carry the bugs responsible and only the weaker individuals or ones under stress for instance after a litter go on to develop symptoms.Or an infection could have been introduced with new stock.Without proper lab tests there isn't any way of knowing what is causing it.What is clear is rats and mice are very prone.The ones who haven't displayed symptoms may be fine.If they were my pets and otherwise in good health I'd sit back and wait.After all the others must already have been exposed and nature will run it's course.It's not your fault.Our first mice from the petshop rattled like trains and lived a full life.We never thought anything of it until we started showing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with what Sarah has just said. If they are your pets I would try and help them (I am a softy and try to help everything that comes my way though). I have now acquired (dont know how this happened !) 40+ mice and have seen LOTS of sniffling and chuffing. I've only lost 2 mice though and to be honest I think the first was down to complete ignorance and the second was just really ill.

It is different for breeders but for pets I would treat them (personally I would use Septrin) and see what happens. If they all die then you've lost nothing if you are thinking about having them all PTS anyway but if some pull through then you have gained some of your mice back.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
If they are truly ill, for example ruffled staring coats, hunched over or waddling when they walk, clucking like a chicken, have laboured breathing and generally look really miserable then I think they should be culled. If however they are snuffly or sneezing but otherwise are acting normal and don't seem ill (other than the noises) and they are pet only then you can try treating them and seeing if they pull through. If any have no symptoms you may want to keep those mice together (and still treat them) and the ones with symptoms together in a separate room. When I had pet mice the thing that I found actually worked most often (baytril didn't do much) was antirobe - it's actually for cats but my vet prescribed a couple of capsules (!) for the mice and it did seem to do the trick. I don't remember how much it cost but I don't think it was expensive. You can also give Avipro or echinacea to try and boost their immune systems. Also it may seem obvious but don't bring any new mice into your colony while you're trying to sort this out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've never even heard of Antirobe but will certainly be looking into it now. Where can you get Avipro from ? does it have to be a dispensing place or will a pet shop have it ?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts