Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having had 5 litters and culling them all except 1 (because she only had 4) I have to say I'm not convinced I'm going to be able to carry on doing it, culling them I mean.

At the beginning I didn't really think about it and I was dead chuffed last week when I sexed the 4 remaining pew's and I'd correctly got 3 does and 1 buck but I removed 8 from a litter this morning, it still left me with 9 in the nest so I'll probably have to reduce again but I don't know if I can.

I felt SO AWFUL putting the box into the freezer I found it incredibly hard to shut the door and walk away, and I've been feeling glum ever since.

Will I be able to prodcue big healthy mice without culling?? Because I really don't know if I'll be able to do it any more :cry:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
A few breeders don't cull and they get around it by feeding really high quality food during pregnancy and when the mother is lactating, I've heard that some of those breeders are relatively successful at shows as well.

However my only concern would be what to do with surplus mice, particularly the bucks. I recently had a litter of 14 which had one doe, I dont know how I would have been able to find homes for 13 male mice and imagine doing that everytime you had a litter. I would be looking for homes for on average atleast 5 bucks a week. If your only planning on producing a few litters a year it might work but if your breeding seriously its not really an option as far as I see it.

I hope it gets easier for you, its not a nice thing to h have to do but its just part of breeding on a larger scale.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm now thinking I *might* have to cull 3 adult mice and I'm dreading it - co2 will be the only way as I can't possibly face dropping them and they're quite big, I can't be certain I'll do it right.

Just one thing, do I let some co2 out in a short burst then they'll die in the fumes or do I need to release a lot of gas??

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree with you - I culled from my first litter yesterday and I.. almost began to cry afterwards. I know that in the end I made the right decision, but I'm going to have to do it today or tomorrow for another litter.. and I just can't bear the thought again. I think we all just have to keep in mind that it's the best thing to do for everyone, and as far as I know, it doesn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
The way I get around my issues with culling, and this might sound weird or cruel, is that I keep a snake, and feed him the mice I don't want. That way it's like "guilt-free" culling, because my snake Paul has to eat too. Now, that only works for adult mice. I've never have to cull pinkies or fuzzies, though I'm going to do it with my next litter. That's going to be harder for me to do.

·
Registered
336 Posts
NaomiR said:
Will I be able to prodcue big healthy mice without culling?? Because I really don't know if I'll be able to do it any more :cry:
Of course you can produce strong healthy winning mice without culling, look at me! I never cull pinkies unless they are super runty. The youngest i cull anything is 4 week, but you have to be prepared to feed and clean more mice for longer and find homes for them. I do cull, as often as needs be but it doesnt have to be at the pinkie stage.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
When you do the CO2, slowly fill the container up.
If you fill it suddenly, it causes the animal pain and panic, before the anesthetic effects kick in.
If you slowly fill the container, the mouse will slowly get tired, pass out, and die.

I hope that helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.