Pet Mice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought 2 mices, 1 female and 1 male, from a petshop here on Guam.I also bought a small blue cage with it a large food container, a hanging water bottle and a rolling thing for them to exercise. Everyday for about a month, i took care of them and,refill their food and give them fresh water. Everyday or 2,i would change the rag underneath them so that they have a clean home.on the 2nd week since i got them, i noticed the female's stomach getting bigger and i got so excited.i even have names for the new borns when they came out.The mother's name is Arputina,the father's name is Arputin. I waited and waited and today i went to clean their cage because the rag was dirty and alot of feces on the rolling thing and to refill their water and put more food in. I noticed that as I'm cleaning the rag with water,i saw lots of blood and even small pieces of pink jelly.it felt like jelly so i just threw the rag away. then i went back to the cage and noticed 3 small babies lying around separated and their mother was ignoring them. 1 of them got eaten completed,it's head was the only thing left of it.the other 2 just lying down and i went to check if they were still breathing,they weren't. so i transfered the father and mother to a shoe box and I carefully took both of the babies out with a folded clean paper. I placed them onto a tissue and I noticed that 1 of babies neck had a hole so it got eaten also so I had to get rid of it. I threw it in the toilet and flushed it,I am really sad at this point.The other I carefully watched but I knew it was dead but to make sure, I put it back inside the cage with a clean rag and let the mother go back in hoping that she will attend to her baby.if she didn't then it's dead .SHE DIDN"T.she ignored it so i knew the baby was dead so i flushed it down the toilet.At this point, I almost felt like crying as I placed both the father and mother back inside their refresh cage. they are inside my bathroom and I am sad. Can someone help me try to correct my mistakes so this won't happen again. I need to know everything before she gets pregant again. I know now to take the father out when the mother is pregant.is that ok?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I always take the buck out when the doe kindles. Secondly, its a good idea to leave alone when a doe has her litter. Rag on the cage floor- get some some sawdust or the many other alternatives available today. If its her first litter you can sometimes expect problems but should settle down afterwards. Remember, when a litter is born you will need to seperate the sexes or you will soon have to many unplaned litters- you will need a cage for each buck but the ladies can live together. If youhave a litter with 4 bucks in it you will need four cages. I think you need to have a rethink on breeding soon.

·
Registered
249 Posts
There are a few things that may help you out.
She may be stressed out about something like loud noises or other pets in the house. You should probably remove the buck when it looks like she is getting big and you know that she is due. I've known the bucks to eat the babies, not the mom.
She may just be a bad mother...or because it is her first litter she may be confused by what exactly is happening. You should try again and see which it is. If it is her second litter she may have figured it out by then. The other thing is that the babies may have just been unhealthy. lots of times moms will just eat the unhealthy babies, and if there aren't many and they are all unhealthy...thats the reason. I just learned recently you should feed them a little cooked egg yolk, and natural vanilla flavored yogurt soaked whole grain cereal. You can also try meal worms. :] One thing i make sure to do also is pull out or get food without any little pink biscuits, or any pink treats. They may just be confused and thing it is food. I have honestly only lost one pinkie in my whole time of taking care of mice...and i have had five big litters. I'm not a professional and they are purely pets, but if you have any other questions i will help you :]

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I was told to not bother them much especially when the babies comes out. what does kindles mean? Can i separate the father days before the mother gives birth because I'm rarely home and I don't want the babies to get eaten again... so rag then isn't good how about strips of white paper, is that good enough for bedding if so how long and thick should the papers be?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
our house is fairly quiet, no loud noises except the tv and we don't have any other pets. i'm kinda tired and can't think right now but what is an egg yolk? is that the orange part of an egg or the white part? natural vanilla flavored yogurt soaked whole grain cereal what does it look like? do you have a picture? i don't think we have that on guam but please show a picture and meal worms? real worms ?

ok i'm not giving any pink foods

how long does the mother give birth in between? and why can't i put multiple males together but can put together many females?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't even know if the mother released all her babies. do they all come out at the same time so day by day? and can someone answer my questions above please, i'm worried

·
Registered
110 Posts
The yolk is the is the yellow part of an egg. the soaked cereal you questioned is simply cheerios or corn flakes breakfast cereal that is soaked, by you, in natural vanilla flavored yogurt. Meal worms are the larvae of a beetle, you can purchase them at most bait stores to fish with, or pet/reptile stores, as they are commonly fed to lizards.
A mommy mouse usually gives birth every 20-23 days, on average 21 days, but IT IS NOT healthy for her or the babies to have back to back litters like that. the babies do all come out at once, if there is a problem, the mommy will usually show signs of distress/pain. As long as she is going about her daily business, and eating, sleeping, drinking, and voiding like normal, she is probably fine.

·
Registered
249 Posts
an egg yolk is the yellow part. yogurt is this:
http://www.yeovalleyorganic.co.uk/conte ... Yogurt.jpg
and just mix it with cereal.
meal worms look like this:
http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/images/meal_worms.jpg
and you can buy them at a pet store. They sell them for reptiles, but mice like them too.
The babies should all come out within the same time period. You shouldn't get any more until the next litter.
The white paper should be fine. I also like to tear up toilet paper and give it to them. It is nice and soft and they love it. The size of the paper doesn't matter as long as they are small pieces.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If your at all worried about how small the litter was...it was probably only 3 babies because it was her first litter. They tend to have small litters the first time.

she probably will get pregnant again if the male is in there with her. I suggest you part them for a little bit so she can rest and then put them back together and try again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
jujubee18 said:
an egg yolk is the yellow part. yogurt is this:
http://www.yeovalleyorganic.co.uk/conte ... Yogurt.jpg
and just mix it with cereal.
meal worms look like this:
http://www.knutsonlivebait.com/images/meal_worms.jpg
and you can buy them at a pet store. They sell them for reptiles, but mice like them too.
The babies should all come out within the same time period. You shouldn't get any more until the next litter.
The white paper should be fine. I also like to tear up toilet paper and give it to them. It is nice and soft and they love it. The size of the paper doesn't matter as long as they are small pieces.
WOW! Is it just me or is there an echo in here lol. Thanks for puttin up pics.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i tried giving them shredded soft paper towels and they liked it first especially the mother but the next morning,everything was in 1 corner like they didn't like it and of course it's wet because the hanging bottle water touched it

what if i don't give her enough rest until the next babies? will she die?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Its quite a strain for any animal to be pregnant and raise babies. The female mice nurse the babies for 5 weeks, and pregnancy only lasts 3 weeks, females are highly likely to get pregnant again directly after giving birth so she may be still nursing a litter when the next one arrives. Its not ideal for the female or the babies, so it is best to seperate the male away from the females before she gives birth.

Its not very unusual for a first time mother to eat the babies, try again and hopefully it works out better next time.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
She probably already is pregnant again since the buck has been in with her the whole time and still is. What type of cage are you using - if it is a barred one you will need to change it to a solid plastic or glass one so the babies cannot get out through the bars (or get pushed out by mistake). Buy some wood shavings or similar (NOT sawdust) and use the shredded paper for the nest area. It would also be a good idea to read up about supplementing the doe's food when she is pregnant and nursing. Breeders do this in different ways, so I'm sure you will be able to find something suitable that you can buy. As said above, you'll need more cages (at least three in total) for when you need to separate the adult buck and the baby bucks.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the cage is not very big. it's kinda smaller than a shoe box. yes it is barred. i was thinking of getting a big plastic container that my friend uses for storing clothes and cutting holes out in the sides and top for air.. i'm confused by this, you say use the shredded paper for nesting, how? do they make their own nest? the strips are long and thin.

is it ok if i go ask the petshop for any available food for the mother. maybe i can mix some over there from dog to rabbit food and nuts.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
If the cage is that small you definitely need something bigger. A normal mouse litter is around 10-12 babies, and they obviously stay with their mother until at least 4 weeks, so that cage would be overcrowded very quickly. I have just bought some large plastic storage boxes (23 inches by 15.5inches) and am converting them for mice. I will post photos when I have done it to show you what you could do. All you need is a large plastic box and some 5mm wire mesh. As for the nest paper, yes they will build their own nest. If your pet shop sells hamster food that might be better than what you have, then you can add the dog food and anything else needed.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.