Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok just had a litter of 13 from my Blue x Black(Dd) mating.

I really want to keep as many blues as poss and female too.

can people give me an idea of culling rates, when to cull.

my initial thinking is to wait until 3 days then cull to 8.

any help much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Really, its up to you.

If you are aiming for blues, then my advice would be to wait until colour comes in, especially if they are going to be dark blues it will be hard to tell the difference between blues and blacks until you get the beginnings of actual fur.

Culling for gender can be done pretty much as soon as you can sex them (For me thats straight away, sometimes day one or two)

How are you planning on culling?

W xx

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
The optimum number for milk production is between 4 and 6 kittens I think. Unless I need to keep males I cull to the biggest four females as my litters are all one colour.

If you want blue does, then I'd cull all of the males asap (I always take males out on the first day), then by day three or four you'll easily be able to tell which of the remaining ones are black, and you can take them out too. If you only end up with a couple of blues it's best to keep a couple of blacks as well so that the mother has four to nurse. She'll produce more milk per baby than if she had just the two.

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I also aim for between 4 and 6, though I have had culled to litters of 1 (once), 3 (a few times) and 8 (once). Most of the time I have 4 or 5 babies.

I cull any obviously small, runtish, or deformed mice on the first day. On day three or four, I cull extra males. Somewhere around a week, I cull further based on head shape and color. I do it in stages so that the mom's milk production has time to adjust. This is how it happens in nature too, usually.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

I want to have blue does, so I think Sarah's idea fits my plans best. Now to see if i can sex them! lolz I'm usually pretty good so i'll take the males out now. Then in a few days take out the blacks.

:)

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
The best way to sex them young is by comparison. Hold two or three up at the same time, and males and females are readily different.

Also, if they don't have fur yet and you're having a lot of trouble, you wiggle them in the light and if their bellies catch the light the right way, you can see nipples even before the hair comes in. I am a total weirdo for figuring this method out, but I can't be the only one who's done it! :p

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I hope that you get at least one blue doe!! I know by experience how annoying it can be when you don't get what you have bred for! I will cross all my fingers and toes for you!

W xx

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers guys,

no chance sexing them yet lolz. well they are only 4 hrs old, so i'm not being to harsh on my skills yet! but i don't want to take the risk of culling a female. I know i can definately tell by four days old, but think i'll get it well before then.

i'll have another go tomorrow evening, that will be a full 24 hrs old.

I really do hope i get a blue doe then i can breed back to dad and start producing full blue litters!

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
To practise culling pinkies run a test litter with pups that you don't really want, when they're a day old or when ever, try and sex them and get rid of one sex, then wait till they're older to see if you did it right :)
I'm doing this as soon as one of my feeder does give birth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.