Pet Mice Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, I am new to mice keeping and I wondered if someone could give me some advice that is straight forward. I find it all a bit confusing.

I make my own rat food and I have been giving my mice a bowl of that a day and a bowl of mixed seeds. It is just two bags of mixed bird seed I got my a local pet shop. It is millet, small complete black and complete white sunflower seeds, the odd peanut, some crushed sweetcorn, I think it may also have wheat and oats in it.

Is this a balanced diet for them?

My rat mix is 6 parts Harrisons Rabbit banana brunch, 3 parts pasture mix, 1 part fruity parrot mix.

Can anyone help please?

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I'm not familiar with the products in your rat mix, but I can chime in that black oil sunflower, striped sunflower, and peanuts can be very fatty. A really fatty diet is not so great for mice, who do better on a high-protein and carb diet. Oats, wheat, millet, that kind of stuff is great, and is usually the bulk of a homemade mix. Also, I've not heard of white sunflower seeds, but safflower looks like a white sunflower seed. Safflower is also fairly fatty, but some mixes use it in small doses as a healthy oil to increase coat quality.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thank you for this thread, Sarah. I'm going to start buying some of the basic ingredients in bulk, then mix my own. I've got two cats, so the good quality kibble is there, and I LOVE porridge, so I suppose I can share my rolled oat supply. :) (If I must...)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I think I may switch back to my simple mix that I fed before we moved: dog food, pig pellets, and bird seed. With the occasional cheerios and rice puffs added in. I'm not happy with my current mix. Too many spindly babies. :/

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
love2read said:
I think I may switch back to my simple mix that I fed before we moved: dog food, pig pellets, and bird seed. With the occasional cheerios and rice puffs added in. I'm not happy with my current mix. Too many spindly babies. :/
What are you currently feeding, if I may ask? Detailing mixes that DON'T work is still good information for other breeders :)
Pig pellets are fantastic for keeping weight and condition on mice, I've gone back to them. I keep the hoppers on the lab cages full of pig pellets for them to nibble at and feed them Vitalin original dog museli in their cages.

besty74 said:
Is guinea pig food okay to add to the mix instead of rabbit food?
I don't see why not! There will be waste though, as the mice won't eat the grasses and alfafa pellets. Also, I think a plain, unflavoured mix would suit mice better than a fancy one. My guinea pig has blackcurrant and oregano flavoured food. She loves it, but I think the mice would find it too strong.

clair said:
Is this a balanced diet for them?
My rat mix is 6 parts Harrisons Rabbit banana brunch, 3 parts pasture mix, 1 part fruity parrot mix.
Rats and mice have extremely similar nutritional needs, so if it's keeping your rats in good condition it should be fine for your mice as well. The only thing I would say is that both your rats and mice could do with a meat based protein in there as they are both omnivores and would eat insects etc in the wild.

·
Registered
358 Posts
SarahY said:
love2read said:
What are you currently feeding, if I may ask? Detailing mixes that DON'T work is still good information for other breeders :)
Pig pellets are fantastic for keeping weight and condition on mice, I've gone back to them. I keep the hoppers on the lab cages full of pig pellets for them to nibble at and feed them Vitalin original dog museli in their cages.
I just switched back to pig pellets today. :mrgreen: I'd been feeding a mix of dog food, rice puffs, cheerios, oatmeal, and bird seed. I don't think there was enough protein in it. Alot of the adults didn't like the dog food I was using, so they were pretty much on an all-grain diet. :/

I noticed that they DO like a cat food I gave them last night(I was out of their mix and didn't want to give them the dog food since they don't like it very much), so instead of using dog food this time I mixed the cat food in with the pig pellets and added some wild song bird seed as well. 2 parts pig feed, 1 part cat food, and 1 part bird seed.

BTW, the pig feed I use is "Pig and Sow", so it's got higher protein then regular pig feed.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Thank you for this thread, I was looking up the rabbit feed as a base for a local breeder, and was very surprised to see it's doable! I'd assumed that rabbits & mice would have a very different diet. I am more knowledgeable thanks to you!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey, just wanted to check my mix is ok! :)

40% rolled oats
10% whole barley
10% maize flakes
10% pea flakes
20% dog/cat food
10% wheat, white millet, red dari and sunflower seeds (2.5g of each).

Also... what brands of cat food do people use? We looked at vitalin dog food but we live in a flat so don't have much space to store a 15kg bag of it!!

Thanks! :)

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I use oats, wheat, linseed ,maize, millet seed, in the correct quantities and if you like add to a commercially made mix to bulk it up and add also some pellets to it.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I know I am terrible but all I currently am feeding is parrot/cockitiel mix.
I currently have access to these.
All the bird seed I can get (local store I can but it from)
Maple peas
Pasta
Frozen peas
Rolled oats
Wheat bix
Wheat
White rice.
Any of these another to mix together and make 2kg?

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
No one answered but I am going to store today so I will post what I brought they sell rabbit pellets (a fatty type and a plain lookin one) I own 2 rabbits so I will get the plain one and see if the mice like it they are nice smallish pellets then cat food and bird seed ETC..

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Idk what answer you want, it's not just about putting assorted edibles together. If you look at the beginning of the thread, there is a ratio you want to follow on grains/plant matter/protein base, as well as the target protein level.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
Miceandmore64 said:
Hey um I saw poultry pellets. I have ithem in giant bin where I buy food from so no ingredients. What are they?
you have to be cautious with poultry pellets.Some are pre medicated,some have growth promoters some contain grit .Read the ingredients before buying and if they aren't listed I wouldn't buy them.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts