Pet Mice Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
I changed to that mix that you suggested, and they LOVE it. Not a speck of wastage.

Also, I wanted to share this site with anyone mixing straights
http://www.ratrations.com/
I haven't ordered anything yet but it looks awesome. And I can buy in smaller quantities, since I can't store the big 10kg bags.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
If I mixed;
5kg Maize - Flaked
5kg Peas - Flaked
5kg Oats - Whole
10kg Barley - Flaked
and then 3-5kg of dog/cat kibble
-Id also use bird seed to supplement as well.

would that be ok? or would it be too uneven?

I'm currently using a hamster mix, various seeds, dog biscuits and cat kibble. -They get more of the richer stuff if they are mothers or young and I'm tight on the seeds with the fat old mice, but I really don't like the hamster mix I'm using as it lacks and has too many peanuts in etc. though it was fairly cheep (like £14 for 20kg or something)

-I still need to pick up a large bin for food otherwise mixing will be a pain. :lol:

·
Registered
623 Posts
swop the oats quantity for the Barley quantity, and would be spot on- if you don't bed in Hay add a few rabbit pelletts. I don't use a bin for mixing- thats a right pain, I pour my ingredients into a shallow tray and mix and scoop from there.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
my order has changed to;
20kg maise
20kg barley
20kg peas
15kg oats
(found a cheaper site for it lol)
-ill be sure to add more oats and less barley in the mix every-time I make the mix up and the un-mixed stuff will be stored until I'm low of the mixed stuff and ready to mix up again. I use hay bedding all the time now anyways.

mixing in a bin might take a little time but it means I don't have to keep mixing up a new lot every two days or so.

And I'll still keep using the seed mix I supplement their base food with for mothers etc etc.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
What do you think of this I just ordered?

TITMUSS CRUSHED OATS 15KGS
Quantity: 1
Price (inc VAT): £4.75

HENRY BELL MICRONISED PEAS 20KG
Price (inc VAT): £8.80

HENRY BELL MICRONISED MAIZE 20KGS
Price (inc VAT): £6.55

TITMUSS ROLLED BARLEY 20KG
Price (inc VAT): £6.10

AUBIOSE HEMP BEDDING 20KG
Price (inc VAT): £9.38

Shipping: Standard UK delivery £28.00
Grand Total £63.58

Postage is a little high but it's the cheapest I can find as I don't drive, I already have like 12kg of cat kibble about and it was cheeper for me to keep buying hay in town.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Do either of these dog foods look suitable?

Kibbles 'n Bits:

CRUDE PROTEIN 19.0% MINIMUM
CRUDE FAT 8.0% MINIMUM
CRUDE FAT 12.0% MAXIMUM
CRUDE FIBER 4.0% MAXIMUM
MOISTURE 18.0% MAXIMUM
CALCIUM 1.0% MINIMUM
PHOSPHORUS 0.76% MINIMUM
ZINC 125 mg/kg MINIMUM
VITAMIN A 5100 IU/kg MINIMUM
VITAMIN D 500 IU/kg MINIMUM

corn, soybean meal, beef and bone meal, ground wheat flour, animal fat (bha used as preservative), corn syrup, wheat middlings, water sufficient for processing, animal digest (source of chicken flavor), propylene glycol, salt, hydrochloric acid, potassium chloride, caramel color, sorbic acid (used as a preservative), sodium carbonate, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, vitamin A supplement, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), calcium sulfate, titanium dioxide, yellow 5, yellow 6, red 40, BHA (used as a preservative), dl methionine.

Pedigree:

Crude Protein Min 21.0%
Crude Fat Min 10.0%
Crude Fiber Max 4.0%
Moisture Max 12.0%
Linoleic Acid (omega 6 Fatty Acid) Min 3%
Copper Min 10 mg/kgZinc Min 200 mg/kg
Vitamin E Min 300 IU/kg
Ascorbic Acid (Vit. C*) Min 70 Mg/kg

GROUND WHOLE CORN, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA AND CITRIC ACID), GROUND WHOLE WHEAT, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, BREWER'S RICE, DRIED PLAIN BEET PULP, NATURAL FLAVOR, SALT, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, VEGETABLE OIL (SOURCE OF LINOLEIC ACID), VITAMINS (dl-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*] VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], BIOTIN, d-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), CHOLINE CHLORIDE, MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, ZINC PROTEINATE, COPPER SULFATE, COPPER PROTEINATE, MANGANESE PROTEINATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE), ADDED FD&C COLORS (RED 40, YELLOW 5, BLUE 2)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am getting 2 mice soon and I am wondering what I should feed them on. I have cavies so I have a 20kg sack of bran and rabbit and guinea pig food. I do also have some goat food. I don't want to buy huge bags of food to mix up some food for the mice as I could never use it all with 2 mice! Does anybody have any ideas on what I could mix up in a small amount enough to feed 2 mice. If they like some hamster and rabbit food mixed together for example, I could go to a pet store and by 1kg of each.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
If you're only feeding a pair I would recommend Pets at Home Rat Museli, or Reggie Rat. Both are excellent food for pet mice, but too expensive to feed over 30kg a month :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes, can they eat hamster food? Is there something missing out the rat food that I would need to put in for them as I wan't them to have all the nutrients they need.

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
Since you have a pet store nearby, after contacting your breeder about their feed, drop in to see what they have available. Check the ingredients lists, and see how they compare to what your breeder uses. Some stuff marketed as mouse food is terrible, and other stuff is really quite good.

I definitely would not give hamster food. It's very fatty, compared to mouse foods.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
What do you recommend that I buy?
Um, Pets at Home Rat Museli or Reggie Rat :lol:

Honestly, these are both excellent foods. I fed all my pet mice these and I'd still feed them now if they cost less than £1 a kilo. Rats and mice have the same nutritional requirement. Hamster food is no good for the long term health of mice at all, and neither is most mouse food (if you can find any).

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Thought I would post my current mouse food mix:

Oats
Rye
Wheat
Wild Bird Seed
Flax seed
Sesame seed
Brown Rice
Split peas and/or lentils
Nori and/or dulse
Vegetarian dog kibble- http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/dogfor ... arian.html
Dried carrots
Dried blueberries
Dried banana

The oats are the majority of the mix as they are the cheapest to get in bulk. Havent figured out how much this mix costs per mouse per month yet - will have to next time I buy and make up the food..

21 - 40 of 75 Posts