Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please :mrgreen:

Ok so i've got this gorgeous litter of satins, theres 2 blacks, 1 other self and several broken, but i've not come across a colour like it before (i've not bred the male much either so could be normal for him).

Ok so Father is a Satin fawn, and Mother is a Satin choc&white broken....

The young literally shine gold, they have the black masking like agouti's do, but they are not agouti, well at least i don't think they are, but then again i've never had a satin agouti...and i assume they aren't cinnamon as you need an agouti to produce them and theres no agouti in the lines of the parents.....

Sooo, any idea? :)

·
Registered
584 Posts
Could the satinisation be making the colour look darker? It certainly has that effect in cavies. I have a golden agouti satin, and he has noticable darker patches when viewed in certain lights.

ETA:They are very pretty!

·
Registered
374 Posts
definatly LOOK agouti...

EDIT: though after reading through again (I have a terrible habit of just skipping to the photos)....they may be sable. As agouti is dominant, one of the parents must be agouti. They're a very dark shade though, and will go darker. Sables are lovely. Keep pics updated!!

vi x

·
Registered
66 Posts
i am useless with colours really bad so i don't think i can help .
i would like to say they are beautifull though really pretty.
if i did have to guess a colour they look sable ish to me but like i say i'm useless they are so so lovely though

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
They're agouti satin. Fawn (dominant yellow) is homozygous lethal and dominant even to agouti, so the fawn satin parent carries agouti and that is where it has come from.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thinking back, that may make sense, the breeder i got him from bred sables and fawns, so obviously bred agouti too, he must be a mish mash of those somewhere along the line :p

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Velvet_Meece said:
Thinking back, that may make sense, the breeder i got him from bred sables and fawns, so obviously bred agouti too, he must be a mish mash of those somewhere along the line :p
Just for the record, sable is dominant yellow (red or fawn) plus tan (black if producing sables for show, though other colours also produce sables of sorts). Agouti is not involved.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts