Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was never against culling but i didnt understand why people would cull down so much just to have healthier babies. now i understand! in my litter of 11, i was planning on culling the boys but i didnt plan on culling for health because i didnt really see why people did that. i never saw any proof or anything so i just didnt really get it. anywayss.. when i saw the babies today.. omg! there were 4 babies that were CLEARLY not as healthy as the others. i was so surprised to see them so small! i felt so bad for them. so i culled them. i definitely have new respect for you heavy cullers! i took a picture so you could see the size difference. and there were 4 about that size. its crazy! im definitely doing this with every litter from now on

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
So true :) May I please use your picture (credited of course) on my site when I write about culling? Because I cull anything that doesn't make the grade on the first day, I don't have any pictures like this to visually explain why culling is so essential.

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Same here, Sarah. It just occured to me that I should photograph my culls more often. Oftentimes I notice that the next day after culling down to 3-4 babies, the remaining babies are not only bigger (which is naturally expected) but they also "look healthier" if that makes sense. I'm sure others have noticed this too.

While some people do refuse to cull for ethical reasons, for me it's not about ethics but about good husbandry (that's partially Willow's words, hehe). I also think that just because a mouse can suckle 11 or 15 or 20 babies doesn't always mean that's the best arrangement. Over the years, I've found the "magic number" is between 3-6 (usually 4 or 5) babies. They just do so much better in general.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Dammit, if my damn camera hadn't broken today I would show you my culls for today... huge and I mean HUGE size differences between littermates in a litter I reduced down to 6 on the first day... that litter is now three.

W xx

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SarahY said:
So true :) May I please use your picture (credited of course) on my site when I write about culling? Because I cull anything that doesn't make the grade on the first day, I don't have any pictures like this to visually explain why culling is so essential.

Sarah xxx
ya you can use the picture, i dont mind :)

i definitely believe that culling is essential. if i was good at telling the sexes apart i'd cull earlier because i dont like seeing unhealthy babies like that. and at this stage for me its not exactly "easy" to "get rid of" unwanted mice so thats why i need to cull males. im only allowed to keep 2 or 3. and actually my dad doesnt even know im breeding.. thats mine and my moms secret ;)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I took a picture of a whole litter,culled some and the next day took another picture and compared them. You could see a big difference.
Naturally of course now I cant find that picture.

I would rather have a small & healthy litter then a large, unhealthy one.
Ive found that the larger ones are usually males and the smaller ones females. The males tend to nurse stronger then the females.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
windyhill said:
Ive found that the larger ones are usually males and the smaller ones females. The males tend to nurse stronger then the females.
thats interesting cuz in my litters it seems like the males are smaller than the females haha :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts