Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard stories of bucks breeding sisters and mothers at five weeks old, but I have three new bucks about 12-15 weeks old, and even though they've been with their girlfriends for a couple weeks, none of them show signs of pregnancy. Are my bucks too young? Are they too shy? Do they need to watch an after school special to know what to do? I just got rid of my one breeding buck, making way for the new stock, but so far the new stock is sort of... limp. How can I help my boys???

·
Registered
110 Posts
My suggestion would be to give them time and be sure that your does are at an okay age to breed, not too young or too old. I have a buck that took 2-3 months with his girlfriend before she got preggers, but it was soooo worth it! She had one of the cutest litters I have! I will be keeping most of the babies from that litter. I got 3 tri's among other colors, but I'm most excited about the tri's!! :D

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Congratulations! Would it help if I took the girls away for a little while, or maybe move them to new cages, let them claim new territory, then introduce the girls?

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I'm assuming the boys are all in seperate cages? Could you swap the girls around to different boys, or are those paired up purposely for what they would produce?

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Let each buck have a good run round the other buck's cage. Make sure they do a wee and, if you want, put each buck with the other one's wives for just a minute so that she smells of him. Then put everyone back in their original cages. This would result in all sorts of manly behaviour because each buck will want to claim his own territory back, including his females.

If it has only been 2 weeks though, the females would only just be starting to show anyway. Also the doe is in season around every four days and the buck can't mate with her until she is in season, so this could add another three or four days to the expected gestation time, meaning your does could have another week and a half left before birth.

I've only ever had one buck that didn't do his job at all, with my other males I wouldn't worry until 3 and a half weeks have gone by at least, although mine are manly breeding machines and always get the doe first time :D

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The most recent one has only been with the doe for a couple weeks. The others have been together nearly a month. Some of the does I chose for a specific combination, but I have more does than bucks, so I can rotate them around. My previous bucks have always gotten the job done quickly, to judge by the delivery date, the does all concieved within 1-2 days.

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
I had this problem.

Some of my mice took months to produce a litter.
In that time I did various things to prompt them forward (Some of which SarahY has already explained). They would just snuggle up together so I thought that they were "just good friends".
I then tried another buck but, alas, still no luck.
I soon became quite anxious about the problem and decided to try putting two bucks to one doe, surely one of them could do the job!! DISCLAIMER....do NOT try this. Most times it would result in fights to the death
It still didn't work because my mice were so bloomin docile that even 2 bucks and 1 doe would all snuggle up together in perfect harmony.

A much respected Breeder on here suggested I light candles and Joss Sticks and play Barry White to see if it helped :lol:

Things changed for no reason after a couple of months and I had one litter of still born pinks, then the following litter were all bucks. It's not easy sometimes!!

I hope you have success with your mice :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts