Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was getting new bedding today and i was gonna clean out all the cages and be all happy, except my mouse gave birth early haha. i was going to move her to a new cage today but i wasnt expecting her to give birth so soon! i didnt want her to be in my giant 50 gallon female cage when she had them. so my question is, when can i move her and the little ones to their own cage? i'd like it to be as soon as possible. i'd like to do it today but im guessing thats not a good idea? would she really eat her babies if i moved her to a new cage? thanks for any help :)

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Personally speaking I never have a problem disturbing mothers on the first day - but these are my incredibly docile, laidback show doves. Nothing upsets them! I know it is not recommended to move them/clean out for at least a week, but being in a big cage with other females could present problems i.e. squabbling over babies. Or all the females will help look after them. Mice can be pretty unpredictable! You'll have to keep an eye on them and decide what's best. If you do decide to move her, pick up as much of the nest as you can with the babies inside and use bedding from the big tank rather than put clean bedding in.

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well its good to know that its possible. i wanted to move her a few days ago but i had no bedding whatsoever and not even enough excess in that cage to use some. it was just the perfect time to run out of bedding =[. and of course i couldnt get bedding until today. i think i'll leave her today and move her tomorrow

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
I'd move the mother out first and hold her in a small tank or container so she doesn't see you taking the babies; give her a treat or something to distract her in the meanwhile. Then move the whole nest with the babies in it, if possible, and some of the bedding from the tank, into the new tank. Mousies act by sense of smell to a large extent, so if the new tank smells like the old one, there should be no problem. You don't have to use just old bedding in the tank, just spread some of the old stuff a bit here and there. Most does are very good mothers regardless of anything you do in any case. Give her some more bit of a treat when you put her in the new tank. They should all be fine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i decided to just move her tonight into one of my homemade cages. when the babies are a week or 2 old i'll move her to my 20 gallon. she seems to be fine right now and still feeding the babies so hopefully everything is good tomorrow!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts