Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I've bored you with my "plans" already I won't go on and on, but could you please give me your ideas and opinions on what I need to buy in for my himalayan line?

I've found some totally awesome pew does and bucks, I think I need to also source some siamese?

What sort of numbers would I be looking at??

Any help hugely appreciated, many thanks

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
The basic would be a trio of each (PEW and siamese) although many people advocate two trios of each from different people and keeping only the best from those once you can evaluate them all against each other. It all depends on your goals and space available. Technically a really good himalayan would be black based, so don't get anything with the chocolate gene in if possible. This can be almost impossible to know with PEWs without a decent amount of test breeding so beware! Also you need ruby eyed siamese not black eyed. The black eyed are made with a c dilute (ce) which is what black eyed creams have, I can't imagine this would help your points on a himmy!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that's really helpful thank you (I was just about to send you an e-mail!) I've found some gorgeous pews and I'm collecting 3 does and a buck on Sunday.

still keeping my eyes peeled for siamese but they will come, eventually ;)

am I to breed the pews to the pews and the siamese to the siamese then select my best siamese and pew to breed to each other?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
It's up to you. If I were the one with 3 does and a buck of each variety I'd breed a litter of PEW x PEW and one of siamese x siamese, then the other 2 does I would put to their opposite buck (2 x PEW does to the siamese buck and 2 x siamese does to the PEW buck). That way you have more of your original varieties should anything go wrong and you're also working on your goals straight away. I have learnt the hard way that it's good to have back ups!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts