Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
too much babies, sickness, too much males... i don't cull because of this and for whatever reason. i just let nature do it's thing. would you like it if every sick person was shot to death or euthanize just because they have some form of illness? i don't....only god decides.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I'd rather put an animal down is it's suffering, that to just sit there any watch it suffer until it dies.

I'd do the same for a human.

It's also important to cull if you're going to breed for exhibition standards. The fewer babies the mother has to nurse, the more nutrients each baby will get, and hopefully, the bigger and stronger they will be.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
It doesn't matter whether or not other people understand or condone culling, it's a choice that people make for themselves for reasons they consider to be ethical and right. And that's the way it should be :)

Sarah xxx

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
SarahY said:
It doesn't matter whether or not other people understand or condone culling, it's a choice that people make for themselves for reasons they consider to be ethical and right. And that's the way it should be :)

Sarah xxx
much sense Sarah. :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
If I had to choose between being really sick and in pain and have no hope of recovering but just slow waiting for death, I would rather die right away.

First time, when I made a decision to cull the litter, whas when the mother had died, and I could not find another mom for them. I tried to feed them, but it didnt work, they just looked worse and worse.... Finally I could not watch them suffer anymore, and gave them fast and painless ending.

Then, second time was, when I had litter of 14 mice, with 3 females, and 11 males. I just could not possibly keep that many males, and local petshop only took females. I was rather young then, there was no internet to help with selling the boys. And I didnt know any snake-owners, it was really rare back then to have reptiles. So I really had no choise.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
SoontobeGrandpa said:
....only god decides.
assuming all people believe in God.I don't so it would be pretty pointless waiting for something I consider to be non existant to make a decision for me..

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
Disclaimer:

this post is my own personal view, take it or leave as you will. it is intended to be light, so don't get all serious on me. Its heavily dependant on what your interpretation of God is as to how you may see some of this

oh no its the God debate!

well, here's a revelation, I'm a Christian (yes yes i know how bad that sounds :) ).

anyway, everyone has there own beliefs. Now as a Christian, i believe that God flows through us and every living thing (use the force Luke , use the force! lolz wrong belief system or is it?)

and guides us and shapes us , but leaves us with responsibility and choice.

now God doesn't send down his fury that we mere humans decide to keep mice (another one of God's creatures) captive and decide when it gets fed or if it gets fed, or when it finds a mate or not etc.

in fact God allows us some great responsibilities in life. I don't think God is best pleased if we don't take those responsibilities seriously.

so here is my religious view of culling. God gives us the choice to take another beings life and that choice is personal one, some people will and some people won't for their own reasons.

now i hear you shout, what about natural death?

aha well i also studied a science based degree, so i have what you may call an 'integrated' view on this.

we are biological beings and eventually are cells run out (i know this is really simply put, but you get the point)

I don't believe God controls this all the time. I believe God may intervene to save life (but only to save life)

oh and accidents are just that coincidental accidents.

well think i covered lots there

like i say its not complete but it just explains how my spiritual life fits with mice and culling. It may be helpful for others i don't know.

happy days anyway

:)

·
Registered
834 Posts
nicely put ship!,

I will cull my mice when and if i deside i need to. since i have limited space, i cant keep too many bucks nor do i want deformed little monster mice running around my mousery. Culling is the humane form of natural selcetion in my point of view. No wild mousey mummy has 15 little meece to feed so why should mine.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Only god could deciede if they lived out in nature (or for others Nature deceides). If we own mice we are the mouse´s "nature", we provide the inviroment, food, shelter ect. We deceide who get´s to have litters. There fore we can and sometimes must decide to cull....just like nature does.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
In a caged setting, we have to act like natural selection. Otherwise you'd end up with a lot of sick mice, weak mice, etc etc.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
you have about 30 pinks in the nest at the moment soontobegrandpa.Have you considered what you will do if you end up with 20 or so males.Can you provide the required space for them when male aggression breaks out.Sitting back and doing nothing in some cases could be considered neglect or even cruel.It's my opinion that people who cannot cull or afford euthanasia at the vets should only breed very occasional litters to ensure that time and space is available for the babies to find good homes.It is also my observation that people who do breed a lot but can't cull become so desperate to home the babies that they let them go to anyone and also con unsuspecting people into thinking that two males are the best option in order to unburden themselves of the problem bucks.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I've seen that with a person, who will not be named, who breeds hundreds of mice but never ever culls.
This person often pushes mice on people, even if they don't want them. :?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
after reading all this, i think you guys are right and i don't believe in god too. god doesn't exist

if i had too much bucks, i am planning on selling them to my local petshop and hopefully they find good new owners.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yes soontobegrandpa but what if the petshop doesnt want bucks? i know a few up here wont take bucks.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
They also may only buy them as feeders. In which case it's much more humane to cull them yourself, and then you can sell them frozen as feeders.

At least then you know they were killed humanely, and not housed improperly and then tortured by a snake/lizard before death.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts