Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After talking to several breeders (and my friends and family) I'm beginning to realise that my dream team of Himalayan mice might just be a little ambitious for a first-time breeder.

Luckily for me I managed to prize some excellent selfs from a superb breeder who's been a huge help to me so far and I've been pursuaded to take some time to concentrate on type and form. Soooooo I've got some gorgeous selfs to be getting on with, I didn't get very good pictures of them but I'll work on that too.

Anyway here are my pew buck, my champagne buck and my silver.......

Ultimately I'm not sure which self I'm going to concentrate on, it was the pew's because they'll be good to use when I finally get some siamese, but then I thought it might be the silvers as the colouration is really subtle and beautiful - even the boys are pretty! Then I thought I might settle on the champagnes for their richness.........but I'm back to the pew's because their white coats are stunningly white ;)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ah thanks but I'm trying to keep the breeding down to a "minimum" which is difficult but that's the plan ;)

I'm hoping to get some really stunning selfs from this little lot - I'm going to run on the majority of the litters so I can see what develops as they grow, I have enormous cages ready and waiting!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm definately keeping the pew's they're totally awesome.

Of the silver litters I've only had 1 with "decent" silver colouration which I love but if it's a numbers thing I don't want to create millions just to get 2 or 3 decent ones out :lol:

I'm still un decided on the champagnes, my buck is huge and chunky and I love him to bits so I'm leaning towards keeping them going too.......

That's Chunky - how gorgeous is he???

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
hiya - what do you mean by 'decent silver colouration'? Your litters would only be a couple of weeks old by now at the most, and you can't tell what shade of silver they are till they are about 5-6 weeks, and even then they moult through to the adult coat and come out a final colour. There are various shades of silver, from washed out white to mid silver, which can start to look like dove. Different judges prefer different shades, so you have to keep all the colours - for colour mixing in breeding as well. So what's the problem with your silvers?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts