Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so on the 8th of this month, I had put a buck in with my younger doe, Sandy, because I had been unaware of the advised age for breeding. She was eight weeks old or so. She's now...eleven weeks old.
I didn't realize she was pregnant until around monday, when she started getting exponentially bigger each day! So, she should have had her babies on wednesday, but she's still huge and extremely skittish.
I felt her belly, I think I can feel lumps, but I'm not sure. Her belly is more just....soft? I dont know. I had a mouse when I was eight and she had babies, and I remember that I could see each lump in the mum. Sandy is more just round and looking like a tennis ball.
Is it possible that she's just swelling up really fast for no reason? And she's not actually pregnant?
I'm so worried, what would I do without Sandy? : (

·
Registered
74 Posts
shes still not way over due ive had rats and mice go another week past the 21 day mark as long keep and eye on her and as she is eating and drinking i would just leave well alone atm

the fact that you cant see any lumps might just be that this is a small litter

she should be fine but as i said keep and eye on her

Hope this helps
Alan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. Thanks everyone.
I guess I was just really worried because she's like. Three times bigger than any does I've had before.
eeee, when she gives birth I'll be sure to update : )

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This morning I heard squeaking!
I hope everything is okay
This is my third attempted litter this year, I had a different doe eat her two litters.
But that doe was strange, she literally never stopped running in circles around her cage unless she was sleeping or eating. And I think she gave birth on the move...
But Sandy is very well mannered :)

Should the squeaking be constant? I only hear it every few minutes or so.
What if they're squeaking in pain?!?!

·
Registered
258 Posts
If mice are anything like rats then they usually are good mums and don't need too much help from us humans. The
squeaking isn't pain, it is a way of speaking to mum. It will not be continous in rats so I wouldn't expect it to be that way in mice
http://www.fancymice.info./breedfrontpage.htm this site contains info on breeding and would be worth a read.

Regarding the mouse that ran round in circles, personally I wouldn't have bred from her as it sounds like a neurological problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Rowangate said:
If mice are anything like rats then they usually are good mums and don't need too much help from us humans. The
squeaking isn't pain, it is a way of speaking to mum. It will not be continous in rats so I wouldn't expect it to be that way in mice
http://www.fancymice.info./breedfrontpage.htm this site contains info on breeding and would be worth a read.

Regarding the mouse that ran round in circles, personally I wouldn't have bred from her as it sounds like a neurological problem.[/quo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts