Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Different people have different opinions on this.
And I just wanted to hear some, and see what people on here thought. :)

I think 7-8 weeks is plenty of time for them to be ready. As long as they're weaned, strong, and have been on their own for a while I think they'd be fine going to a new home.

What are your opinions? :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I reckon under 5 weeks is too young for does, maybe a bit younger for bucks as they are seperated between 3-5 weeks. It depends on the individual, if the mouse is strong and healthy and has had time without its mother so any digestive problems have made themselves evident since being on a solid food diet then they should be ok to go to new homes. I would say the majority of mice are properly ready to go from 6 weeks at minimum though.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, anywhere under 6 weeks, and you're taking some risks, I think.

The reson I ask, is because I have some mice, that are about to be 8 weeks old, and I just worry that 'someone' at the show will stick their nose into my cages and say 'These babies are too young! :mad: ' or something.

I really think 8 weeks, although they're still small, is a perfectly acceptable amount of time.
I usually don't sell right at 8 weeks, but there is a show this weekend, and I'd like to bring as many mice as I can, that are eligible for selling. :)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
As long as they are fully weaned, and ahve been eating/drinking on their own for a few weeks it should be fine.
Of course there may be those who say they look to young,etc, but you cant please everybody

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's true. You really can't please everyone.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't in the wrong, because if someone questioned my mice like that, i might not know better, and I might think I really was doing the wrong thing, if I didn't ask. :p

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I don't sell does under 5 weeks or bucks under 4.5 weeks, though they are usually older. By the time they are weaned and separated in the case of bucks, or 5+ weeks in the case of does, there is no real reason that they can't go to a new home. The creams for example, are pretty well developed by then :p

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I usually like to keep mice till around 6-8 weeks old at least to see how they develop.

Different strains of mice mature at very different rates, though. At 6 weeks, some of the smaller, more modestly-typed mice are in a totally different place than a 6 week old show PEW, for example.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it does depend on the mice. Tottally agree.

I have two different litters, as a matter of fact, from two mice that were sisters, and the SAME father. They had their litters together on the same day, but you can clearly tell them apart from one another, even though the colours are really random. One batch, is all slightly smaller, than the other batch. Veeeeery interesting. :p

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I guess the majority of people, wouldn't be able to -tell- the difference.

Annnnd, now that I think about it, I guess reptiles would be considered a few weeks old once they hatch out of their eggs. I GUESS the time from the eggs being layed, to them hatching, counts? :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not sure, I know the reptile store/feed store here doesn't sell their reptiles until they are 8 weeks old to make sure they are feeding healthily. I feel lucky though, before I move away from here im buying a snake cause their pythons are only 30 dollars lol. I can't have snakes on post though, the military housing can be frustrating we can't even have ferrets. But we can have mice/hamsters etc. which is weird to me but eh, It should count as long as the baby reptiles are feeding good I think people should be able to sell their animals.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
I think the 8 week rule doesnt apply to all critters, to me this applies more to cats and dogs. It is however illegal to sell an unweaned animal unless being sold with mum. But reptiles can be sold from the minute they are born or out of the egg (Snakes happen to be my other hobby). So maybe the 8 week thing for the snakes were just that stores policy to save on comebacks from non feeding snakes.

Back to the original question, personally once weaned and had a bit of time on their own then I am happy to sell them on, makes them about 5 weeks plus.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My mice are usually sold or rehomed between 6 weeks and 8 weeks of age. It all depends on the litter. The last litter Millie had was a litter of 4, and they were really advanced and weaned much sooner than i had expected, so they were rehomed at about 6 weeks of age and are all thriving in their new homes :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.