Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a large Japanese field mouse for breeding, but I don't know how I can obtain one over the internet (other than asking a lot of private individuals if they could catch one for me, until one says yes). And I don't know, generally speaking, how much this would cost and what it would involve legally. Certainly there is no "impossible" here, like I have read it in other threads concerning other countries. You can always pay with money or effort to overcome some general restriction somehow. Also if there are problems, like "no wild species", obviously this can be overcome in this case easily as well simply by declaring it differently, because no one would really be able to tell the difference.

Is this possible, at reasonable cost?

The mouse itself cannot be considered so valuable since it is common in Japan just like field mice here. I picture that maybe transport cost of 200 USD or so would be reasonable for one-way express delivery of a small box with a mouse inside (regular US->Germany express delivery is 75 USD). One single mouse can easily be kept alive for 3-5 days with e.g. bread and water-rich vegetables (like cucumber) that could be fixed to the inside of a parcel with wire mesh. For the parcel, a lightweight wooden box, like a wine bottle box can be used and optionally wire mesh could be wrapped around to make it more safe against escape. So much about how difficult and feasible it actually is to successfully ship such a small animal around the world. Of course a corresponding animal transport option would have to ensure that there is no extreme force exerted on the parcel and that it is not entirely sealed away from air. Maybe this is not exactly how you wanted to treat a favorite pet, but if it is just for breeding it wouldn't be cruel or inhumane at all. Esp. not if you contrast it to regular lifestock animal transport. Just my thoughts on how this possibly woul look like in practice when it can be done and how much it maybe costs.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
animals have to be housed in specific cages to be transported and depending on where to and from will need a vet certificate and other paperwork .Mammals can't be sent via normal parcel post.Your best option would be to join an exotic animal forum such as RFUK or a FB group such as International rodent information society which deals with wild and exotic species.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts