Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK here is my guide of how to make a successful CO2 Chamber.

These are the things you will need:

1 x Small airtight container
1 x Pipe (About a foot long)
1 x CO2 Bike Pump
1 x CO2 Canister
1 x Roll of duct Tape
5 x cable ties
1 x small sponge (Optional)
1 x 1/4 Inch Wire Mesh 5x5 squares (Optional)

First off you need to attach the CO2 pump to one end of your tube/hose pipe, This can be made easy by warming the end of the tube in boiling water for a minute or so and then it should just slide on, Secure it with a cable tie

Next you will need to make a hole in the top of your airtight tub for the other end of the tube to go into, its best to make the hole just a bit smaller than your tubing so that you get a nice tight fit.

Next you will need to seal the top of your tub and the tube, do this using duct tape as i found this is the best tape to use. Make sure there are no gaps and secure with 2 cable ties.

Next you will need to make a small hole in one of the corners of the tub, when the CO2 gas enters the chamber it will force the air out, make this hole near to the top of the tub.

Everything below is optional,

Cut a small piece of sponge and put it in the end of the tube and use your small piece of wire mesh (5x5 Squares) and secure it in, also secure this with the duct tape and cable ties to make sure it cannot come out.

This just makes the whole thing quieter and therefor less scary for the mice,

I found that mice get scared of the hissing noise as the CO2 gas goes through the tube. I know that this is pointless but i personally would like them to be as calm as possible and not get scared.

I hope you found this useful.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ive had such buck heavy litters and colours that i need to keep and grow on for longer to make sure I keep the best of the litters that im shortly going to be moving from the bike pump to a gas cylinder but the method is the same as that here and is effective and cheap to do for the odd mouse or two.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apple Eyes said:
Any instructions for use? Hints or tips?

I found this page on the net http://www.happyhillbilly.com/co2/euth_inst.html but would value the advice of experienced people here.
The instructions on that site are pretty much spot on,

Quoted from that site incase anyone has not seen it.

The object is to deliver the CO2 into the container in a very slow & steady stream that will cause the rodents to go to sleep and eventually suffocate in their sleep, not knowing or feeling a thing.

With the rodents in the container and lid in place, slowly turn CO2 valve on a little at a time with micro-adjustments each time. If the CO2 goes into the container too fast it will cause the rodents to choke from lack of oxygen and cause them to suffer. It's not a pretty sight.

If done properly the rodents will gently lay their heads down and go to sleep. If they start gasping, as if choking, or anything else that looks like they could be suffering instead of dying a peaceful death, reduce the flow of CO2 into the container until they settle down peacefully.

When all of the rodents appear to be dead increase the flow of CO2 for a few seconds in order to flood the chamber. Wait 5 - 10 minutes to make sure they're all dead before removing the lid.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Dawson Mice said:
Ive had such buck heavy litters and colours that i need to keep and grow on for longer to make sure I keep the best of the litters that im shortly going to be moving from the bike pump to a gas cylinder but the method is the same as that here and is effective and cheap to do for the odd mouse or two.
Any ideas where to get a large gas cylinder?

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I've just ordered a load of stuff from here: http://www.welduk.com/ - they have the larger cylinders in various sizes (http://www.welduk.com/Details.asp?ProductID=88) and tell you which regulators fit and so on. My order hasn't arrived yet, but I'll post and let you know what it's like, how long it to took to get here etc when it does.

BTW thanks Dom, this is a really good thread. I had no idea what I was going to do til I read this!

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
97 Posts
I built and tested a co2 chamber gotta say not for me although it did work for the most part I found the odd mouse would not sleep,nearly but not quite, maybe I had bad gas or something but I'm not happy to try again ...the floor never fails.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
The only time they don't become unconscious in my experience is when they are too young. I only use the CO2 on mice that have their eyes open, preferably 2 weeks and over. I don't disagree with the physical method if done correctly, but don't think I'd have the strength to do it and also would worry about the time (and it is bound to happen to everyone) when it goes wrong and I cause suffering. The CO2 means they all die quickly the first time, guaranteed.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I cull at day 3 or maybe 4 and put the pinkies in the freezer. It does work until they have fur, so you can do it until they're 6 or 7 days, though I do try to avoid it if possible. They usually open their eyes on day 10 or 11 so shortly after that I can use CO2, but I don't cull at that age unless they're ill as I've already removed whichever mice I need to.

·
Registered
97 Posts
MouseBreeder said:
The only time they don't become unconscious in my experience is when they are too young. I only use the CO2 on mice that have their eyes open, preferably 2 weeks and over. I don't disagree with the physical method if done correctly, but don't think I'd have the strength to do it and also would worry about the time (and it is bound to happen to everyone) when it goes wrong and I cause suffering. The CO2 means they all die quickly the first time, guaranteed.
The mice I tested on were all young and old adult but I found the odd one would not "go" as I say maybe it was the gas I used ..CO2 for air guns
Gotta say when I bred before years ago I had never heard of this method so I guess I just got used to the floor method infact I know one breeder who culls pinks on a stone floor for his cats so as they arn't wasted, so to me it seems the best and only conclusive way of culling, but hey each to their own it's a nasty job so what works best for each person can only be the right way.

·
Registered
341 Posts
my sister made me feel bad about putting pinks in the freezer anything over a few days, as she was shocked to see the size of some of mine and ians 'pinks' that were bigger than pet type pinks, as she said she'd had pinks in the freeezer at 3 days old and come back to the freezer after a few hours to find them still struggling for life crawling about which she said to be much more distressing than throwing them on the floor. its a really difficult one - id rather put them in the freezer than throw them on the floor but i guess its a choice? she also seemed to think it depended more on their size than age which determined freezing length? it does seem cleaner tho for using them for reptile food... :?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I've only ever checked after 15-20 minutes or more but they were frozen solid by then. And I mean solid. Maybe my freezer is set at a lower temp or something, I don't know, but no way was anything still alive!

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I cull for gender at 1 to 2 days old using the freezer method.

I've checked the pinkies after exactly 5 mins (I timed it cos i'm sad) and they were completely frozen solid.
But I do tend to turn the freezer up a notch the day before i plan on culling.

The oldest i have ever culled is 7 days, due to a pinkie not thriving at all (Very very skinny, mum not wanting it) and I used head trauma, because i knew it was too old for freezer (Was fuzzy) and too young for CO2.
It was very quick but i really would not like to have to do that again, i felt sick afterwards. I guess i'm just a wimp.

Willow xx

1 - 20 of 50 Posts