Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know culling large litters helps both mom and babies, but how many do you have to cull to make a noticeable difference? If you have 12 pinkies and cull two on the first day, will it matter to the rest? And if you cull six, but when they're already a week old, will it make that much difference?

I have two does due on the same day, and when they give birth I'm going to cull one and leave the other alone, but I want to know how much/little culling I should do to get the best results. I'm leery about culling too much, and not having any good mice left (since what can you tell about pinkies?).

Any advice would be apreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
I cull in stages, not necessarily numbers. Any runts are culled on the first day (sometimes the first hour, if I happen to be there when they give birth). If I'm culling against eye color, I also cull here since that's apparent at birth.

Then at 2-3 days I check for runts again and cull (sometimes it takes a couple days to find if a certain baby isn't thriving). Also at 2-3 days I cull extra males.

Then by day 6-7, when the hair has come, I cull again for the last time.

I usually end up with 3-4 mice under any given female. Sometimes I have as many as 6, but not often.

Culling in stages allows for adequate nipple stimulation so that enough milk is produced and doesn't just pull away half the litter at once. This is how it would happen in nature as the babies were slowly predated or died of natural causes. Of most natural litters, only a few make it to adulthood.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never thought of it like that; I always thought you just cull once and leave all the rest alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts