Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a curious question, as I was discussing it with the owner of my local petshop today...

How long can mice be safely left while you are on holiday? Obviously if you leave them enough food/water etc?

Willow xx

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
A week as long as they are not subject to any extreme temperatures.Leave plenty of seed,water, plus whole carrots for moisture incase the water runs out.I always put 2 digestive biscuits per mouse in as well.

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
sarahc said:
A week as long as they are not subject to any extreme temperatures.Leave plenty of seed,water, plus whole carrots for moisture incase the water runs out.I always put 2 digestive biscuits per mouse in as well.
And what if something unexpected were to happen in that week ?

I would definatly not leave them for more than two days at a maximum but thats my own view.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I'm only talking from the point of view of leaving them well supplied.Something unexpected happening is a different thing and could happen in 2 days ,3 days 4 days.From that aspect 1 day might not be safe and there is no answer possible.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know obviously that there is going to be risk involved however long you leave them, whether it be a few hours or a week.

But I would like to know that me and my partner would be able to go away for maybe a weekend at some point, cos at the moment, noone i know would be willing to look after the mice for me. (That will probably change in the future once my friends get used to them)

Would it help to maybe build the mice up before going away? Maybe Lactol and scrambled egg? (I've heard thats good for building up, please let me know if I am wrong!)

Willow xx

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I do leave mine for a week and have yet to have a problem.I would have no qualms for a weekend.I wouldn't leave food that can go off,just extra dry food and a source of moisture.A sudden heat wave (huh)would be the thing to cause a problem.Incidentally we also leave our koi carp for a week.They are much more trouble than the mice.The water and filters are always having to be monitered,some are jack russel size and eat for England.They are outside,exposed to danger and nobody ever expresses concern about them being left.Its a funny world.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We were planning on maybe ging away in february, Valentines Weekend *grins*

I know this year, it was feb we had that ridiculas snow, would cold temps be a problem? I think the lowest it got down here was -3C

Willow xx

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
its a problem if they are outdoors in a shed or similar.If its very cold they burn more fuel and die quickly if food runs low.In the house it will be fine. We've always fetched the whole lot into the house if we go away.Big mess when we come home.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Ive left mine for week using sarahs advice and it went really well. No problems at all and I even came back to see my youngest mice had thrived in my absence.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I was going to say about 4 days would probably be OK, as I have left rats that long before with plenty of extras. It is easy to pile in plenty of dried food and add an extra water bottle and carrots or apples. I would avoid leaving litters as I would normally want to supplement them with extra fresh food.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I was really surprised how well my litters had done while I wasnt there. I think they actually did better because there was no interference from me.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all this advice, I can breathe a little easier now! I just want to get as much info as i can before I really start up my mousery!!

Willow xx

·
Registered
167 Posts
I just left mine for 4 days while at a dog show with no problems. They were checked on a couple of times, but didn't need any tending. As stated above, I just put extra/larger water bottles and lots of dry food. No one was any worse for the wear when I returned.

·
Registered
523 Posts
We too left ours for a week while we were on honeymoon and came back to find them with loads of spare food and water and all very healthy. I wouldn't make it a regular thing, we did have someone check in on them a couple of times, but long weekends we do regularly and theyre fine. We do make sure we don't have any very old or sick mice that could deteriorate quickly before leaving though

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
now we don't have small children I won't go on Holiday.The stress and worry of the animals is all to much.We chose not to have the mice and fish looked after as well intentioned inteference caused more problems for both than well planned arrangements by us.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would never leave my mice for a week and not having anyone to check them daily, what if something happens while you are gone ?? I would not even do it for a weekend..

In Denmark it is actually against the law to leave your pets, you must have someone to check in on them every 24 hours, minimum, if you are going away ;)

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I suppose everyone has different ideas about it.Many people leave fish,reptiles , amphibians and aviaries.For me personally I don't have a problem.Short of the house burning down I can't see what could happen to them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, I guess you are right, I just wouldn't :) They could get hurt while you are gone, if they fall down from the top of the cage, if they fight, or get sick, even if they are healthy when you leave..

·
Registered
26 Posts
The most likely unexpected thing to happen is probably water bottles clogging / emptying, and unfortunately mice don't survive many days without water. You could always leave extra bottles for the mice, but that isn't very practical with large numbers. I have left mine for two or three days, and for longer periods of time I've had someone to check them. If you leave enough food only the bottles need checking / refilling, and this can be done even by a non-fancier, e.g. a friend or a family member.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts