Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are going to seem like some really stupid questions, I can tell. Sorry in advance!

So I've been looking at cages for my newest mice, and I think I might be better off with RUBs, but I have no idea how to convert one. I know we have a giant Staples, so I can get stuff from there, and a B&Q for mesh, but how does one combine the two? Basically;
~ What size do you use for how many mice?
~ How do you make the holes in your box?
~ How do you attatch the mesh to your box?
~ Has anyone put in platforms or levels, and if so, how?

Heh heh. That's about it, I think. If I know those things, I can play with them until they do what I want. I really wanted to make them interesting boxes, but if I can't put in levels, I could always try chinchilla platforms and holes. Or houses with a flat roof, to climb on...

*strokes chin*

Show me your most exciting boxes? :p

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I screwed wooden platforms into the massive tank I have for my pet does (which started off my mouse keeping,) also all the special does which I want to keep after retirement go in there and can live the rest of their life in luxury. The wood is hard to clean and I am lucky that I keep my mice in a garage because anything wooden (or fabric) which a mouse could wee on absolutely stinks. So I wouldnt advise using wood.
Another way of adding space in a tall tank is to attach hanging tubes and ropes, the mice dont particularly need a flat surface to utilise the space.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bwahaha, thanks for the help everyone! I wanted to wait until I had some photos before posting again ;).

I used the fantasmic walkthrough to make these, although I think the OH and his Dad used a rotary tool rather than a soldering iron o.o. It took _hours_ for them to complete these. I think it was at least 12 overall, if not longer. So here they be;

The big RUB;

The Carrier RUB;

The scorch marks are from melting the cable ties with matches XD. And the mesh looks odd because I had to double layer it - nowhere had mesh small enough T_T. This is also the reason for that amount of ties o.o.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Looks good, one thing that you might want to think about for next time is where you have fitted the mesh where the water bottle goes in its a bit low and substrate will always be falling onto your shelf / floor. This is why i put the mesh quite high. but part of creating your own boxes in trial and error.

Apart from that id say well done :)

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, lol, found that one out last night. The water bottle end was placed low enough the mouse pressed some crefresh against the ball and flooded the whole box XD. I have moved the bottle up, but the mesh is still there. I'm hoping the holes will be too small for the majority of carefresh to escape out of XD. *crosses fingers*.

The irritating thing is, I even thought of that when I was putting the side windows in :shock:

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hee hee. Well, I can't believe I didn't even think of it XD. Leh sigh.

But over all I am proud of my (OH's) creation. I think I shall call it... Jenny. (lol.)

Freddy and Alice to follow. When he gets time.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hee hee, she was hiding in the cube because she could get a quick run to the wheel and back, lol. She loves that wheel most of all.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm finding I put the mesh down too far for the bottle. The carefresh won't come out, but the poop does. And I'm not sure she's not poking those mealie worms out on purpose either - those things make me squirm, but they looooove them.

Aww. The people on AAM don't seem to appreciate my box. :?

:lol:

Sorry. I shouldn't. But they're getting all irate and quoting the law about sending things back to shops at me now XD.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Kage, never get involved with aam forum I think they assume they are the mafia of mice you can't win against what I can only call freaky people the mods are very biased it's always their way or no way.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, I know that now. Crazy people. Its how they assume that because you're not housing your mice in a rat cage, and haven't got a 12" wheel, you must know nothing about mouse keeping at all o.o.

-_-; Anyway.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts