Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I thought this would be an interesting little conversation. Why do you love your mice? Is it because you had them since you were a child or you got them to feed your reptiles with and started to like them? Well i'd be very interested to know your stories so yeah ^^
And my story is that my cat had one in its mouth and I made him drop it without harming it. It was in shock so I held it in my hand for 5 minutes while it regained itself and then jumped out of my hands and scurried away. Such a cute mousie :)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Ive always been a huge animal lover and growing up I always had a TON of pets, from your everyday dogs/cats to spiders and whatever else I could find.
A friend of mine had some mice she no longer wanted and was going to let them go. I asked if I could have them and she said yes. I had them for alittle over a year before they passed away. I then got my 1st ( & 2nd) rat and had rats for 6 years and have since then went back to mice :)

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
That's a good question, I don't really remember a time when I haven't loved mice. I had small furries as pets as a child, I either had a gerbil, rat or mice but the pets I really remember are the mice! Now,I couldn't consider keeping anything other than mice, It's just everything about them, the bigger the ears and the longer the tail the better for my personal tastes and face shape too! Also, I could just sit and watch them for hours and when they're asleep - awwww! Listen to me rambling on- you'd never guess I'm a bit fond of my meeces! :lol:
The only problem with mice is that they don't live very long and it can be a problem to effectively treat some of their health issues due to their size which I find frustrating, also I'm sure some of my friends /family think I'm barking mad because of how attached I get to my mice, they are part of my family.
So there we go, I don't know why I love them, I just do :D

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I've had a snake all my life, the current one I have is my third, and we fed them mice, rats, or goldfish, depending on the size and kind. Last year I had to do some sort of report for animal breeding class, so I got three mice (argente, broken black, poorly marked brindle) and began trying to guess their genetics based on the colors of the babies. Since then I've expanded to nearly 20 breeding mice, the class is long over, but I refuse to give them up! Even thought they're just feeders, I really fell in love with them, and they are great creatures.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
My grandmother had two PEW mice when I was very young. They were just her pets, and she kept them in a small cage on top of the TV shelf. I loved them, of course, and was always wanting to play with them.

Then around age 15 or so, I met with a breeder who started teaching me genetics. I learned all the fundamentals of Mendelian inheritance with mice as my "experiments" From there on, I was hooked.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Growing up in a very rural small town, I had access to all kinds of critters. We kept chickens and pigs, and my mom's family were all farmers. My father was a docent for the local wildlife preserve, as well as being a avid hunter and fisherman. He cared for quite a variety of animals at our house. I loved to go into the woods and fields and watch animals, and sometimes would catch one, only to release it later. My half sister stayed with us for about a week once, and she had a ten gallon tank crammed full of hay, with a family of field mice in it. They had tunneled and made nests in the hay, and I was just fascinated with them.

Later, over some holiday, I brought home a PEW my fifth grade class had. At some point I got a little book about mice, which is where I learned that there were other colors, though it never mentioned any of the shaded or marked varieties. It had a picture of a champagne mousie, and from then on I always thought how nice it would be to have one of those. But it had to wait as my mother was extremely phobic about mice, and wasn't too fond of all the other critters I brought home from time to time either.

As an adult, I went on to have the more typical kind of pets, you know, cats and dogs. When my daughter was about 11 she captured a house mouse, and since we had small plastic tank from a chameleon that she brought home at the end of a school year, I agreed that she could keep it. the poor thing was so frantic trying to escape that we let it go after a couple of days, and I agreed to take her to a petstore to find some pet meeces. We came home with a black mousie, a champagne (!) mousie and and uneven marked black.

Later, I decided we should buy a better water bottle, as we had broken two of the cheap glass tube type, and when we went back once more to our local petstore we found a ten gallon tank with about 50 or more mousies, does, bucks, babies...it was a pretty awful scene. Someone had been breeding meeces and had to get rid of them quick. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw all the different colors and markings, and even satin coats. The store had cracked ten gallon tanks for $3.00, so I bought about 18 mousies that day. From that day on I was totally hooked, completely in thrall to the little weirdos. I get so much pleasure and relaxation from handling them, breeding them, watching the babies grow up, that I can't imagine being without mousies in my life.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
That's a nice story, moustress! I found out by accident that my pet store mice carry long hair. The first time I saw that weird little fuzzball, and realized what it was, I wondered why it couldn't be satin! :lol:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I have always liked little things and although I was brought up with a a dogs and later cats (which i love to bits) I was always obsessed with itty bitty things. My parents never warmed to the idea though. I gave up all hope but after my dad walked out I seriously started looking into it again because the main obstacle was gone (my mum is a real soft touch :p) and researching everything I could. For two years, I asked "can I get a mouse?" everyday (I think my mum was getting ready to kill me) and when that didn't work I started "I am getting a mouse and if you won't let me get one I'm getting a rat" (mum hates the tail on rats - weirdo. ) I was continually told no but crashed my car last year and was so depressed at the death of Smogz (the car :p) that mum finally gave in and I got four mice :D And the rest is history!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got my lil mouses after my cat brought in a harvest mouse, it seemed like its back legs were broken or something as it was crawling on its front paws only.... but it didn't seem in pain.... I was told i should kill it as it wouldnt live but i couldnt bring myself to do it, and neither could anyone else. I couldn't bear to let it back into the the wild and 'let nature finish it off' as was suggested also. So i kept it and made it as comfortable as it could be.

After about a week, i noticed it was hobbling on 3 legs! It was eating fine and seemed happy... After about another week, it started using its other leg aswell! I kept it alittle long and it seemed to be fine and healthy, so i released it into a friends garden happy and healthy, hopefully its still ok!

I missed having him/her around so i aquired 2 meeces of my own :)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have always loved animals, or anything that is living :] If i could i would live in a zoo. I have had alot of animals in my life, but i stuck with some in particular because i find them particularly endearing. Ive had guinea pigs, fire toads, salamanders, turtles, dogs, a cat, leopard gecko, raised wild birds who had fallen out of their nest as babies, hermit crabs, fish, and mice. :]
Now i just have two dogs, a cat, fish, and 31 mice [lol] , due to me being soft hearted and taking in a litter of 12...My 5th grade teacher gave me 3 mice, two of which were grey, and one was yellow. The grey ones dies after about a year, but the yellow one, Trix, lived about 2 years. she was a PAIN, always escaping. before christmas of last year i bought two mice from a pet store on a whim...and about two months later i bout 5 more...Unfortunately I grabbed a male by accident. SURPRISE!! But definitely a good one :] I tend to bond better with animals than humans because you can give them all the love you want, and not be afraid they will break your heart. I also think it may be because im quite quiet and shy that i am well suited for mice.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
It all started with a hamster and Prozac... no really, I was given a hamster by a friend of mine that was going back on Prozac. She was afraid she would space out and forget about the hamster. I went online and started researching hamsters, and I ended up on a mouse website instead. I fell in love with all the colors available.

The next week I bought my first PEW mouse (Avalon) at a pet store, who ended up being pregnant, and I was immediately thrust into the wonderful world of mouse breeding. I was still in high school at the time and my parents had no idea I had mice in my room until I had about 5 of them and 2 litters.

Among my firsts were Avalon, Horatio, Ellis, Survilla, Gabriel, Monster, King, Marty, Fly, and Cookie. I used to spend almost every afternoon hanging out with my Chemistry and Biology teachers discussing mouse genetics. I even wrote my English term paper on Mendelian Theory. I tried out other rodents to see if I liked any better, but the mice just always had the cutest expressions and they are so squishy and lovable.

Now that I have mice again after almost 3 years without, I'm realizing how miserable I was without them. Little squishies...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I started because me and my girlfriend saw a house mouse in the middle of our bathroom one night. We trapped it in a bin then had no idea what to do with it. I didn't want to kill it, also I didn't want it running around the house. So we went to a pet shop to buy a cage for it. When we saw how lovely the mice looked in the shop we ended up coming home with 2. After the doe got pregnant I came on this forum to see how to look after her. And seeing all the varieties of mice decided how much i loved the satins. So i ended up getting some of them.
We have 18 atm ... for some reason i think its just going to keep going up and up! :D

·
Registered
566 Posts
For me, i love all animals. I used to keep rats and guinea pigs but developed an allergy to them :? so I had to give up on that hobby. I've kept reptiles for 19 years, and initially i bought a pair of mice with the intent to cull the babies to feed to one of my smaller snakes in an attempt to save money and have food here for him on a regular basis.

Thing is, when my Doe had her first litter i, erm... fell in love with the babies :lol: Now i'm a registered breeder, and have not culled a single mouse!! :D At the end of the day, i just couldn't do it. I'm too much of a softy. So the only mice my snakes get is either the ones i buy in already dead, or the odd baby that doesn't survive....that said, the snake isn't that lucky on the latter as i have a good success rate with the litters :lol:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was always a big animal lover. My family had a lot of pets growing up. When I was around ten or so.. I can't remember now.. One Christmas morning I woke up and there was a lot of presents under the tree.. But two mouse balls with ittle mice in them tucked into the tree branches. So.. It was my parents who made me fall in love initially :).

·
Registered
243 Posts
When a mouse had babies in our attic (sorry for the spelling) and my parents used killing-traps to catch them :( I was so sad to see the CUTE BABIES, I wanted to keep them, that was the first time I saw a mouse up close.
I always had hamsters, dwarf hamsters, gerbils, guneapigs or rabbits but didn´t know that mice were pets until I was 10/12 years old or something like that, then I was in a petstore I had never visited and saw some white mice with black eyes with babies, lots of babies, I was amazed they were SO CUTE and I just fell in love!
They were so amazingly small, cute and interesting that they could live in groups and climb everywhere, I could never forget them after that.
I begged for years but my parents didn´t allow me to have mice until I was a teenager then I got my first mice, two white with black eyes and was soooo happy! :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have always been a animal lover even when i was a young child, my mother on the otherhand hates pets. Me and my brother and 2 sisters begged and begged her for a pet when i was small and she brought us a tabby cat who i spent alot of my time with. The only thing was we lived in the country and she would bring me dead/half alive mice which my mum said i used to sit and stroke in a sad sort of state [eh hem i dont go stroking dead mice now ...] our cat died 9 years ago and i forgot all about the small mice she would bring me and how sweet they were till me and my mum were house sitting and a small field mouse appeared, it was scared of us at first but after a few weeks it would sit on the rug by our feet and get some rays :lol:

Anyways that was a few years ago and i never thought to buy pets thinking my mum still wouldnt allow me pets, untll a few months ago me and my bf visited a pet store and i fell in love with some hamsters. They were chinese hamsters and i thought their little tails were so cute [my bf dissagreed] and so i decided i would buy them weather my mum liked them or not, turns out she loves them. She loves to watch them and thinks their little ways are cute. Well now i knew she would let me have pets i wanted something else i decided on a gecko, but when visiting the store that sold them i found out they sould mice. I watched them for a while as they climbed the waterbottle, tried to escape and generally played together well my mind changed in and instant and after weeks of researching mouse care and buying everything they needed i went back and brought three. They are my first mice and i know already they wont be my last.

·
Registered
566 Posts
For me, i've kept other rodents in the past...guinea pigs, rats etc. I developed an allergy to them so I had to give that up as even the medication didn't work and the rash i got from handling them or being near them was terrible.

I was looking in a pet shop, and saw some little acrobatic mice and thought their ears and little faces and feet were just too cute. So i took a chance and got my first mice - Millie and Danger (broken black tans)....thankfully, my allergy hasn't started at all with mice, just as well as i have around 50 of them at the moment as i have a fair number of babies!

I wouldn't be without them now. xx

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Callisto said:
And my story is that my cat had one in its mouth and I made him drop it without harming it. It was in shock so I held it in my hand for 5 minutes while it regained itself and then jumped out of my hands and scurried away. Such a cute mousie :)
^ Same as my story! I wanted my own mice after that!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.