Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They're fantastic to watch, always up to something and you don't handle them so they are really minimal effort to keep. They also only need to be cleaned out every 4 months (this is to keep them happy as more often will upset them) and they don't smell. At all. All I have to do is feed and water them every day and occasionally change the millet really.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They didn't make the nest at the top, we're hoping they will adopt it though :) We only just put them in tonight but they have shown interest in it already.

(Kage I have a litter at the moment if you decide to get a pair).

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The minimum is 24 inches by 12 inches (preferably 15 inches or more tall). However if you find a cheap second hand tank that's too short you can always build a wooden frame and mesh it over rather than a flat lid to add on the top. Freecycle or Ebay are probably good places to look.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Thought as much. The other thing is, do they mind being moved? Because I still have to go from here to Hertfordshire every term, and I don't want to upset them too much if they're not keen on handling and moving and stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kage Davies said:
Thought as much. The other thing is, do they mind being moved? Because I still have to go from here to Hertfordshire every term, and I don't want to upset them too much if they're not keen on handling and moving and stuff.
If you don't have a breeding pair then they'd be fine about being moved. Mine aren't too hard to catch if you're used to handling mice by the tail and don't attempt to bite or anything, they're just not pets that you handle like the fancy mice. So go for a same sex pair and you'd be fine.

NaomiR said:
what do you mean "submissive pair?" Love the new tank by the way, my tank is really wide but I wish I'd gone for high, might look at getting a taller one for them ;)
When I got the harvest mice I got two bucks and an unrelated pair of does. I then put them all together to let them work out which pair was dominant, because only the dominant buck and doe breed in a harvest mouse colony. Then when they'd worked this out between them I split them into two pairs so the other pair would also breed, hence I have what I refer to as my dominant and my submissive pair. The dominant pair has produced three litters so far and the submissive pair one litter.

As for your tank, you don't have to buy a new one, just make a wooden frame and mesh over it rather than using a traditional flat lid on the top, that's what I'm going to do with my other tanks.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Awesome. Ben looked at your photos, and loves them (he gets last say, lol). I will look at getting a viv, and go from there I think. We're going away soon, so it won't be till after then if at all. Finding mouse sitters for all my fancies will be hard enough ^^. Might wait until we move out for good, we'll see. They do sound wonderful though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.