Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I guess a few homafrodite mice might of been born here over the years but I have never noticed until today!

This female I kept back for my breeding but the last couple of times I cleaned her out I had noticed she didnt look quite right! today I had a propper look at her as she is at breeding age now and noticed that she is not all woman...

s/he is available if anyone wants to give her a good home.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Where are you? I am stateside, and if you are too, I would love to give her/him a good home! All my mice are pets, so that fact that s/he cannot be bred would not bother me at all!

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Yupper, that's a hermaphrodite, all right. Now I don't feel singled out by fate, as this thing happens way too often in some of my tri lines.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Too bad... Lovely mouse. So the mouse is male with female characteristics? Or female with male...? Okay, what I'm really asking, is if this mouse is put with another, could s/he get pregnant or cause pregnancy?

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Okay, because I thought that might be awkward, not knowing whether to place it with a buck/doe to prevent pregnancies.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I have put this on another forum as well and have several other sugestions as to what it may be ... so we may not be looking at a homafrodite after all... tomorrow I will get her out again and take a video of her to give everyone more of an idea how they look.

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
My little tri weirdos were put in with girls due to mistakenly thinking they were normal females, and got several does pregnant.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
While this does look like testicles on a female mouse, keep a close eye on it, as it could also be a prolaspe.

W xx

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
moustress, have you ever put a s/he in with boys, and it got pregnant? Or do you keep those one in their own special tank now?

·
Premium Member
6,816 Posts
Yes, I'm embarrassed to say that I have had the pleasure of looking a tank of young bucks and seeing a pile of pink. The thing that's even weirder is that the boys didn't fight over the doe at all! At least, not when I was in the mousery.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Do you find that the hermaphrodite-ism gets passed down more frequently in certain lines? I think you've mentioned before that you think it has to do with the instability of certain genes in the tri genertics?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After being in talks with someone who was very helpful and having another look at the mouse closely I am sure it is vaginal atresia and not a homafrodite mouse.
what this means is the mouse's vagina has not opened up and is sealed and the bulge is a build up of fluids. I had heard about it in humans before but never thought about it in other mammals.

I didnt think the bulge acted like a prolapse but after a good look last night the vagina is very sealed and the bulge does act like fluid and will move in and out the area but is fixed in the area like testicals would be.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Yes, I've had a few like that pop out of certain lines. (I have some photos very similar to yours, except its a PEW mouse)

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
laoshu said:
After being in talks with someone who was very helpful and having another look at the mouse closely I am sure it is vaginal atresia and not a homafrodite mouse.
what this means is the mouse's vagina has not opened up and is sealed and the bulge is a build up of fluids. I had heard about it in humans before but never thought about it in other mammals.

I didnt think the bulge acted like a prolapse but after a good look last night the vagina is very sealed and the bulge does act like fluid and will move in and out the area but is fixed in the area like testicals would be.
I had never heard of this! I will remember this for the future definately!

W xx

1 - 20 of 27 Posts