Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever look at your mice, when you're breeding them or planning litters, or rearranging homes for the upteenth time, and think of the book Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams? For those who have not read it, or who haven't read it for a long time, it's this funny, random little book, where the earth gets destroyed, and we find out that it was really a giant calculator meant to find the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. And it was all orcastrated by mice. Mice were secretly planning and controlling everything on earth, and people doing experiments on them and stuff was all part of the plan.

So sometimes I look at my mice and wonder...

The Answer is 42, by the way.

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Another rodent/SF crossover was, I think, a novelette, author not remembered, in which the rodents and cavies on the starship were stimulated by zero gee, and became intelligent and telepathic. They conspire with the ship's cat, when it's
found they are about to land on a planet considered by the shop's scientists to be a good candidate for human settlement, in order for all of them to escape as soon as the hatch is opened. They drill and practie in the limited space of their lab setting, and the final scene in which they successfully exit, was so, so kewl! I gotta find out who wrote that, as I've described a noumber of times to other folks. The problem is I've read so much SF and Fantasy I can't remember who wrote what. Chad Oliver comes to mind....oh, yeah, hitchhiker's Guide is a very nifty series.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well, on occasion, I have wondered... :lol:
I do love the Hitchhiker's books.

I keep meaning to read the Discworld books again too - I haven't read any of them since I was in school! Didn't Terry Pratchett have Death of Rats/the Grim Squeaker?

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
It was a radio series in the UK first, in the 1970s. I've listened to it and I understand why it has subsequently taken so many forms (books, TV series, film - though the film is dire!). A very odd sense of humour like mine just can't fail to appreciate these things :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.