Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to start as a hobby breeder i have 2 males but i dont know much about the colours at the moment i do have a picture of one of the males he is a caramel/brown colour with a brown mask on his face and the other is a black satin fur show mouse. we have an older female but we dont plant on breeding her as she has developed what looks like a tumour on top of the skin plus she is over 2years old and we would never breed a mouse over the age of 18 months i think was recommended .

my partner has bred mice before but he was quite young at the time. we thought we would research breeding more before going ahead with it. we currently have 2 cages. If we do decide to go ahead and breed i think we would research more about the best colours to breed and the breeds and i think we would use 1 male and 1 female and have 1 litter and see how we cope with that. also the best type of cages to use. im intrested in breeding mainly due to the course im studying at university, we study alot of genetics and it would be nice to think i could produce some pet mice of varying colours and find out more about the genes. im also a big animal lover and have an interest in the animal itself i know how much commitment it would take to breed and im prepared to give it my all.

I have also read that after you have used one male to breed it is best not to place them bk into the cage with another because it can cause them to become more aggressive towards each other even if they have been brought up in the same litter since birth do you know if this is true?

is there any particular breeds you would suggest using for breeding? and any information that would help me?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Its also not a good idea to breed from a doe for the first time after a certain age, cant remember off hand but think its about 20 weeks (someone will correct me)??

If I was a hobby breeder I would go for marked varieties, such as rump white which I love and is quite interesting genetically but Broken and Even marked are good too as they are popular with pet keepers so its easier for you to rehome mice. It alsoproduces mice with the same genetics but which are different where as selfs or tans produces litters of near identical mice.

Most other genetics such as the ones for blue and chocolate/cinnamon work in a basic recessive/dominant pairing the recessive often having dilution effets on the basic colours which are Agouti or Black (agouti being dominant over black). Genetics controlling eye colour is simply black eyes being dominant over pink eyes but the pink eyed gene causes futher dilution of colours creating more diversity. Pink eyes tend not to be as popular with pet keepers espeially pink eyed whites as they remind people of lab mice I think.

I dont know much about coat types such as satins and texel/rex/fuzzies or whatever they are called. Also the lighter colours like whites, creams and ivories and things I find really confusing so hopefully someone else will be able to help.

There is a fantastically simple genetics site which is called Finnmouse, its an english translation of the Finnish mouse Club website I find it really useful.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hiya Candy
I think you have misunderstood about the ages (either that or its a typo) 8 months is the recommended final breeding age for a doe, or at least thats what weve been told, but as ian says its advised a does first litter is earlier than that. I thought ideal breeding time was 13-20 weeks? We did recently have a very healthy 8 month doe have her first litter who turned out fine (with one pup lost) but we wont be doing this again as she was past her prime and I know the risk of complications is supposed to be increased by that age, or babies may not grow so well etc. At 18 months a mouse is lucky to still be going :lol:

Brokens would certainly be a good idea for hobby breeding, we did choose them partly because of their popularity with pet keepers. You could also get more variety in colour for your studies

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi, sorry i meant 8 months not 18 lol. yeah i was told you can breed them at 6 to 8 weeks but its recommended from 13 weeks. me and my partner have seen broken mice and love the colour varietys on them so we may look into those. i know my partner also has a soft spot for blues but coming by those is difficult. infact coming by females in tyne and wear is proving difficult at the moment i have been given a few names to contact on another forum so i will be trying those tonight see if we have any luck. one of them breeds broken mice as well so fingers crossed

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hope you find your mice soon :D Sorry thought it was probs a typo but thought Id better explain just incase :lol: Yeah your infos exactly what we go by, 3-5 months being ideal for a first litter. And yay-brokens!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts