Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am Rachel, I'm a teacher and have suddenly and unexpectedly today become the proud owner of a little gray (slate) coloured mouse called Moomin who one of my pupils was no longer aloud to keep. I'm very new to mice although i currently have 2 rabbits and a hamster and have had gerbils in the past.

I've posted a huge list of questions in the 'help' section and any info would be great - I particuarly need advice on a great new cage - as what he's come in is rubbish and I'm sure far to small!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think Moomin is a little boy - although he doesn't have a lot there compared to my hamster - Squidge, so maybe I'm wrong. Once he's more tame I'll try sexing him properly. Any advice on a good cage?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Welcome Rachel :) If you want to buy a cage, the savic mickey is widely available and has the narrow bar spacing that mice need. There is also a bigger version the mickey max which would be palatial for one mouse. Or if you prefer a more enclosed cage there is the ferplast mini duna, or savic spelos (think that is the correct spelling). Crittertrail is also OK, but I personally think the starter units are a bit of a con for the price vs the amount of space you get. And they are a bit of a pain in the bum to clean too. A lot of small hamster cages have quite wide bar spacing that a mouse could escape from unfortunatly.
Good luck with the taming :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He definatly getting there. I've not managed to pick him up yet - but I have lifted him out onto my lap in a toilet roll tube, and he had a good scamper about. Despite what my pupil said he hasn't bitten me or the vet he saw the other day - he seems a real sweety - just quite scared.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts