Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up these two does by chance yesterday, I think there was a little group of them being offered so some other members might have a few too. I have wanted herefords for a while but didnt want to take on another variety however when someone says you can take whatever you want its harder to resist.
One of them looks a bit tubby although I was assured she isnt pregnant I hope she is as I dont have a hereford buck and both of them are old enough.

I think they are very unusual and interesting looking mice.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got some info but I just thought I could have a look online to find out more-unfortunately because they are such a 'new' variety theres nothing much about them.

From what I was told the gene is dominant and works similarly to rumpwhites where you can cross in a non hereford and you will haver a mixed litter with some herefords and some selfs. Maybe Cait or someone can correct me?

If your looking to show you need to make sure the face markings cover the eyes but doesnt go under the chin, they must also have a regular shaped white rectangle or line on the under runnning from between the forelegs down. The tail should have a stop which means the colour continues from the body to half way down the tial and then the end half of the tail should be white. It sounds like a really complicated breed to develop!

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any idea about the genetics Cait?

I've heard they are dominant and was told it worked similar to rump whites, but does it have the same fatality if homozygous?

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well thats good, I dont need a hereford buck just yet then, I might see what I get out of them with one of my blacks, I think black herefords would be nice....I have been thinking about working with some reds in the future once I have sorted out my blue rumpwhites, I'll see how it goes.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One of mine is looking very pregnant. I thought she was just chunky but she has been eating the same diet as my other mice which shouldn't make them fat and she is getting bigger by the day. I'm thrilled if she is pregnant although obviously in different circumstances it might not be convenient.

If anyone else gets surprise hereford litters I'd be happy to take some more on as I would like to develop a (small) line of them for show.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well mine is still a bit rounded but not what she was and also no babies yet so I am going to assume that she isnt pregnant any more which is a shame really.
Anyone else had anything go on with these herefords?

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
MIne are fairly big they looked about 10 weeks when I picked them up. I will keep an eye on them for another couple of days but after that I'll have to start thinking about choosing a buck, I think it will probably be one of the blue bucks.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I think maybe settling into a new home has effected the poregnancies?

Well I popped my other hereford doe in with my blue buck and I'm expecting hereford x blue babies very soon (I hope).

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Of course I will, once I get enough or any.....I'm still suspicious that these hereford does just like to bloat out and pretend to be pregnant! I should have the babies within the week if she is really pregnant and thye should all be black. I cant find much out about the hereford genetics so I've no idea what the markings will look like as its an outcross with a blue self?

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So all of the babies should have hereford markings, I doubt they would be proper showable hereford markings unless you put hereford x hereford but it gives a bit of space to improve the line which is a good thing.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I've got one which has a good face but very litlte white on the under and no stop on the tail and the other one he recommended me to take, she has a bit too much white on the face but an ideal under and tail stop. It's seems quite a complicated variet with all the differnet elements, I'm not going to take it too seriously or I'll have a melt down the hereofrds will be a nice relaxing almost hobby line. Unless my competative edge kicks in!

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have hereford babies! not a big litter but all the babies look wel fed and a good size so far so I'm thrilled.
I'll try to get pics when/if they develop markings, I've no idea what to expect.

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
3 Babies, only 1 doe and 2 bucks! They are humungous and considering they were born during the night they were so easy to sex. They seem strangely well developed they even have quite dark pigment, I can tell they are going to be black already and no sign of markings yet, I have my fingers crossed though. Its as if they were born days ago and I missed it, I didnt by the way!

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Yeah you should be able to tell, the rump whites develop their markings around 3 days and if they are black or agouti its quite obvious, the chocolates might need an extra day before the markings come in properly.

I might keep one of these unmarked bucks and put them back to the adult herefords, the bucks wont have the hereford gene but they might not have the hereford genes but they may have modifyers which will improve the hereford markings. If it doesnt work the second time then I will give up on them! :cry:

· Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Well I'll have to play about with these guys to figure out whats going on for sure but the problem is either:

The hereford gene is recessive which means these young are carrying hereford
or
it is dominant but the hereford mother of the litter also only had one hereford parent and therefore only one hereford gene. I crossed her with a blue self so 50% of the babies born would not have inherited a hereford gene from either parent. So I should in theory have had a mixed litter of herefords and selfs but there are only 3 in the litter which means that the mother must have eaten the rest and (probably out of spite) removed every single hereford baby there was in her litter. Mice can be little buggers sometimes!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.