Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it is my birthday tomorrow (yay!) i decided to get my self something, as any money i get i have to spend on animal food and enrichment (not complaining, i love it!). I have a friend in my group at college who works at EuroRep Reptile retail, and he was bringing in a 1 month old Bosc Monitor Lizard for another guy in our group. When i asked how much EuroRep was selling them for, i was shocked, so much infact that i immediately whipped out £15 (usually Bosc babies are £50-70) from my pocket and told him to get me one too. Don't worry, i have been wanting a Monitor for a long time, and was planning to get a Tegu, but Boscs would be a safer (and cheaper) bet.

Yesterday, as expected My friend and I got out little babies. And when i say little, i mean i doubt you will every see such a small Bosc!! They both have very good markings, and mine is chubby and very lazy!

And just incase you were wonderingabout the title, i called it Fish :)

I've attached some pic of Fish, and one of Fish and Mojo (my 1 and a half year old Male Chinese Water Dragon) :D

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
He's so cute. Now I have heard monitors have a 12 hour memory cycle and you have to work with them alot to get them to be tame and nice, otherwise they forget who you are and can be aggressive. Any truth to that?
One of these days I would love to set up a big vivarium for and get an emerald tree monitor... lol, maybe when I hit the lottery.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy thats getting Fish's brother/sister had an adult male years ago, and he tamed up quickly and even after he went away on holiday for ages he ran up to him and clambered up to his lap. Most people who own them say that they're like dogs haha. You do have to handle them every day, thats how i've got/getting my CWD tame, other wise they just freak out and run everytime you release your grip.
haha someone i know had an emerald for sale, he was asking for £4,000... Crazy money! stunning though. i just wish their heads were bulkier.
If i had the money and space, i would get a Blue Tree Monitor, Golden Tegu and a Caiman Lizard. The Tegu and Caiman Lizard i could've got if i had the money U_U not the easiest to get hold of either ):

Just make sure you have a big house and heat up a whole room for a nice biiiggg vivarium =D I would love to do that but with an insulated shed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Between my leo tort and ball python, my spare room is nice and toasty, I can just see a monitor on the other wall. :D I don't have to keep heat on my colubrids because the room temp is perfect or even a little warm. I'm thinking of upgrading my fish tank from a 10 gallon to a 100 gallon and want to built a cabinet to hold it. Under the tank I want to install a long or double enclosure for a couple of my snakes. Still in the planning stages...

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my mate bought a dead cheap 8ft fish tank (he has an amazing marine set up!!), and he's keeping his bosc under it, and it is perfect for heat and everything! he's getting something snake like if he can decide what he wants.
I'm upgrading my tank soon, when i can be bothered haha

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Oh, how I adore amphibs and reps! The common toads we have around here are calm and torpid once you get a hold on them. I have always been into catch and release of local critters. I guess it's god that you have the monitor; most of those tend to get eaten, often by their own relatives, in the wild. Aren't you concerned about the prospect of getting bitten?

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nope, he isn't agressive :) very tame and relaxed. He will litrally sit near the fan outlet of my laptop and when i tickle his nech and head he falls asleep.. he's acctually like a 3 week old puppy! i've only been bitten by my CWD once, and that was because he mistook my finger for a pinky mouse (my fault for wiggling my fingers infront of his face at feeding time! :lol: )
http://www.amphibianark.org/index.htm < donate money to this, basically if no one finds a cure for this fungal infection, then there is predicted to be no amphibs left in the wild in 50 years :/ i had a whole hour lesson on it, then we captured/swabbed/released the frogs toads and newts on college grounds =D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.