Pet Mice Forum banner

Help with genetic term

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Jack Garcia 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

What does the asterix refer to in mouse genetics? E.g. on Finmouse site, A* is agouti?

#3 ·
So it's like saying A with anything, because it doesn't matter what the anything is, it'll always be agouti?

If I have a black tan, then it is a^t/a^t, yes?

So next question is, do the other loci get left off the description if they're all 'normal'?

#4 ·
Black tans can be at/at or a/at because tan is dominant.

Yes the colour will always be agouti rather than non agouti, but if its paired with at or Aw I believe its modified.

And yes, sometimes websites miss off other loci if they are 'normal' and don't modify the colour of the mouse :D I tend to miss them off too... for example Dove, its easier to write a/a p/p than to write a/a B/B C/C D/D p/p hehe!

Obviously if you know the genetic background of the mouse, then they may carry genes too.

Willow xx

#7 ·
A/* (for example) means that the first allele is agouti (A) and that the second is unknown and that it is lower than agouti (it has to be, or else it would show and thus be listed first).

Astrex is Re/*; Caracul (very similar to asterix) is Ca/*.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.