Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the local pet store and I was doing really good about not picking out any new mice and then I saw the rats. Now I'm not a rat person but I could tell this little girl was rather young and wasn't doing so hot so me being me I had to take a closer look and she was much more active and in better physical condition than I thought she would be so I purchased her. I'm hoping she'll do fine if she doesn't have to compete with ten other rats for food or water. I've only had her a few hours but I'm already very attached to her. Can anyone give me a hand in figuring out her age and let me know if you think she should be getting anything special food wise. I know it's a female,and a black hooded (I think). Also if anyone knows any good groups similar to this one on rats a link would be greatly appreciated.

· Premium Member
1,625 Posts
pet shop bought rats are always smaller. I would hazard a guess at 4wks.

Higher protein until 12 wks old, so supplement usual cereal based food with complete dog or cat food, maybe a small amout of boiled egg etc.

I tend to use a good rabbit mix as my base, then small bite dog mixer and a little complete dog or cat food.

She looks fine though, as long as she is eating she'll come on well.

nice little hoody you have there. Do you have other rats, because rats are terribly social so i would look to pairing her up with another little girl.

· Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no I don't have other rats I'd never thought about getting a rat before today but I think she can spend a fair amount of time with me she likes to sit up on my shoulder or in my lap if I think she is unhappy or needs a play mate I know of a local breeder that I could get a second one from.

· Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Sounds like the little sweetie already owns you. I like her markings; she's a real cutie. Rats are almost like little doggies, and she will need to be with you most of time (for the next few months at, least) unless you find her a another little rattie girlie playmate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.