Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my broken marked black and tan doe had a litter three weeks ago. The babies were all fine, one stillborn runt, but the other 6 developed just fine. They've been great, she's been a happy healthy mom, kept a healthy weight, loved her babies to bits, didn't seem tired at all, and I just found her now, dead in the nursery tank. How could this have happened? And what do I do with the babies? They were still nursing off her, they are only three weeks old! What do I do?!

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
they will survive at 3 weeks.It may make them a bit runtish for a while but they will catch up.Offer them a wide variety of food,seeds, biscuits,brown bread.Some people sprinkle powdered puppy milk on the food(lactol).They should be fine.Its impossible to say about the mother could be many things.Parasites,in particular mites can cause unexpected death so it would be worth treating all your mice as a precaution.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I would treat them any way,just in case.I use frontline spray for dogs,available in America,not sure about Canada.Other than that anything that can be used to kill redmites on pet birds will be safe to use.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to go look for some after work today. I work in a pet shop, but I don't think we carry stuff to treat mites (we don't carry dog and cat stuff, and there's a place down the road that has that kind of stuff). Will they be okay for another 8 or 9 hours? All my other mice are totally fine, no one looks sick, itchy, lethargic, or anything. They're all bright eyed and acting normal.

What's weird, too, is that my dad saw her running in her wheel just hours before she dropped.

would hand feeding the babies help them? I've done it in the past so I know how.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey We had one of the mums die from our litters she was fine then went skinny losing weight and died. We did take her to the vets which wasa waste of time because they had no idea what was wrong with her and the next day we found her dead. Fortunatly we took one of the other mums put her in with the babies and they were fine.

They will survive at 3 weeks old. Just feed them more often. Maybe try creamy baby porridge.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you :)

They are still very lively, and are warming up to the solid foods more now. They really like oats mixed with goat milk, and they also like oats mixed with liver/chicken and ensure (meal replacement). The oats with liver/chicken/ensure is what I usually use to fatten up sickly mice. They are also eating seeds, but won't eat the rodent blocks just yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.