Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous post outlines the background but here I am with 15 babies to sex. I have pictures of the first litter. 7 babies.

What do you think ?

Girl ?

Boy ?

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

Boy ?

Show Content

Girl ?

Boy ?

Boy ?

Show Content

Not sure ..... going with boy ?

Now I realise that I have probably got these all wrong but this is my first ever sexing attempt.

Many thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought 1 was a female because you can just see what looks like nipple starting to come through. I will try and get better picture.

Also if you look at pic 1 are those little speckles mites or lice or both or neither ?

Cheers

Premium Member
they look like mites and will weaken the babies.Spray the cages with household flea spray and powder/spray the mice with a suitable product.I use frontline but its probably not worth the cost for a few animals.Spot on ,or johnsons redmite spray for cage birds is fine,I'm sure other people can suggest a practical product for a small amount of animals.See if you can photo the baby in question next to a picture of one of the bucks for a direct comparison.one nipple doesnt equal a female,lads have em to.If you get the full set of nips it will be a doe though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell me what to get for the mites....is it frontline like the same as for dogs ? I don't care about the cost I just want to save them all. I know it probably goes against the norm for mice but I will do whatever in my power to get them better. I have Xeno 50 for my other mice that I treat as a precaution (couple of drops).... is it the same. Is it safe to use this on babies ?

I am slightly concerned about the other babies. Skinnys babies dont seem to be developing at the same rate as Silkys. I weighed Silkys babies 2 days ago and they all weighed either 7g or 8g. Does that sound about normal for 12 days old mice ? Point I am making is they all weighed the same. Skinnys babies are divided....7 days old today...some have fur, some do not.... some have gained weight, some have not . Is that normal in some litters and will the little ones catch up. Maybe it's because mummy is a hairless or near hairless (whatever) and so maybe a couple of the babies are the same.

Will try and get good pictures of babies bits to clarify and also comparison pictures of the second litter.

Thanks for your help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also with regards to the pictures.... I was holding with one hand and photographing with the other. Very difficult as they are so wriggly. I probably need to get someone to hold whilst I take pics next time.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to be an idiot but do you just spray the whole tank ? With the babies and Mummy still in it or do you remove the animals first and then spray the tank. Do you need to give the individual mice a spray or not ?

Hope my babies are going to be okay then.

That now means that the two mice I got from pet shop were both pregnant and both had mites. Great pet shop :eek:

Premium Member
make sure the nozzle is set to dispense a fine spray and not a stream.Hold the adults by the tale and give a squirt to the belly and a squirt to the top.Leave the babies in the nest and just give a light spray on top of them.The adults will rub amongst them anyway.It does disturb them and everybody trys to make a run for it but they soon settle again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.