Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My previous post outlines the background but here I am with 15 babies to sex. I have pictures of the first litter. 7 babies.

What do you think ?

Girl ?

Boy ?

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Boy ?

Girl ?

Boy ?

Boy ?

Not sure ..... going with boy ?

Now I realise that I have probably got these all wrong but this is my first ever sexing attempt.

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
2,3,5,6 and 7 are bucks,4 is a doe,1 looks like a buck,can you post another picture of it?you did well on the sexing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought 1 was a female because you can just see what looks like nipple starting to come through. I will try and get better picture.

Also if you look at pic 1 are those little speckles mites or lice or both or neither ?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
they look like mites and will weaken the babies.Spray the cages with household flea spray and powder/spray the mice with a suitable product.I use frontline but its probably not worth the cost for a few animals.Spot on ,or johnsons redmite spray for cage birds is fine,I'm sure other people can suggest a practical product for a small amount of animals.See if you can photo the baby in question next to a picture of one of the bucks for a direct comparison.one nipple doesnt equal a female,lads have em to.If you get the full set of nips it will be a doe though.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I thought I could see a full set of nips on 1 but the bits are quite far apart for a doe. Am I not seeing nipples there though? Her bits are flatter than the buck bits in the other pics too

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell me what to get for the mites....is it frontline like the same as for dogs ? I don't care about the cost I just want to save them all. I know it probably goes against the norm for mice but I will do whatever in my power to get them better. I have Xeno 50 for my other mice that I treat as a precaution (couple of drops).... is it the same. Is it safe to use this on babies ?

I am slightly concerned about the other babies. Skinnys babies dont seem to be developing at the same rate as Silkys. I weighed Silkys babies 2 days ago and they all weighed either 7g or 8g. Does that sound about normal for 12 days old mice ? Point I am making is they all weighed the same. Skinnys babies are divided....7 days old today...some have fur, some do not.... some have gained weight, some have not . Is that normal in some litters and will the little ones catch up. Maybe it's because mummy is a hairless or near hairless (whatever) and so maybe a couple of the babies are the same.

Will try and get good pictures of babies bits to clarify and also comparison pictures of the second litter.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also with regards to the pictures.... I was holding with one hand and photographing with the other. Very difficult as they are so wriggly. I probably need to get someone to hold whilst I take pics next time.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
I use frontline for dogs with no side affects even for the babies although I only spray them very lightly.Mites will cause weak skinny babies.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry to be an idiot but do you just spray the whole tank ? With the babies and Mummy still in it or do you remove the animals first and then spray the tank. Do you need to give the individual mice a spray or not ?

Hope my babies are going to be okay then.

That now means that the two mice I got from pet shop were both pregnant and both had mites. Great pet shop :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
make sure the nozzle is set to dispense a fine spray and not a stream.Hold the adults by the tale and give a squirt to the belly and a squirt to the top.Leave the babies in the nest and just give a light spray on top of them.The adults will rub amongst them anyway.It does disturb them and everybody trys to make a run for it but they soon settle again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts