Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I recently came across a very interesting mouse coat that I was hoping to get a second opinion on :)

These little guys have a very short, but very consistent/even (and very soft) coat. I have hairless mice and double rex rats as well and this is totally different than that. It looks like a tiny mouse barber just gave them a very neat buzzcut all over lol. These are rescues from a feeder box so the previous owner didn't know their genetics.

Have you ever seen this before or know what it might be called if so? The closest I can find is this (4th pic down), but it doesnt seem quite right either since those seem more wooly:

It looks like their hair may be wavy, but it's so short that it's hard to tell. The white ones look more hairless than they are due to the coat color, I tried to capture it as best as I can. The coat seems short like this both in adults and in babies. Any thoughts?

Rodent Rat white footed mice Fawn Whiskers

Fawn Terrestrial animal Mouse Tail Rat

Skin white footed mice Rat Finger Fawn

Rodent Carnivore Organism Whiskers Terrestrial animal

Fawn Terrestrial animal Whiskers Grass Snout

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see how it might look that way from the photos, but I'm not referring to the rex gene. I'm referring to the fact that their fur looks super short, like a buzz cut.

I've been calling these little guys Chenille Mice because I have yet to come across a reference to them anywhere.

Here are the characteristics of this coat:
  • Extremely short fur (~1mm in length)
  • Very even, no patchiness or bald spots
  • Very soft
  • They do have whiskers, but the whiskers are also very short (~2-3mm in length)
  • Heriditary, not environmental
  • Babies that inherit it have identical coats, neither longer nor shorter
  • Babies that don't inherit it appear to have "normal" coats like their other parent

I would describe it as feeling like "velvet" like the material, but unfortunately that name is already taken haha.

Here are some better pictures from a newer baby that doesn't have scars etc (original parents came from overcrowded feeder box).

Hand Rat Finger packrats Gesture

Eye Rat Rodent Finger Whiskers

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think mine are a rex gene, even though they have a slight wavy hair appearance.

For one thing, there were no rex mice at all in the feeder box. There were maybe 20 mice, of which maybe 6 were Chenille and the rest were your generic straight coat fancy mouse. No hairless either.

For another thing, they haven't produced any rex babies, only straight "normal" coats, and this short hair coat which always has that slight wave you can see. This could be coincidence, but it's another indicator.

In other words, all of the chenille I've seen (both from the original box and my consecutive litters) do have a bit of wave, but none of their standard coat relatives have any wave at all. This could be coincidence, but it's a whole lot of coincidence out of almost 30 mice in total.

Do you have any pics of yours?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts