Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my agouti, Rusty, is pregnant. She's kind of bulbous around the stomach, towards her back legs. I was wondering if anyone could put a pic on here of a pregnant mouse? Gosh I hope she isn't, but I also wouldn't mind if she is, haha. Either way I need help, I am a first time owner and didn't have plans to breed anytime soon.

Could I possibly have bought her while she was pregnant? We have had her for almost two months but from what I have heard, they are only pregnant for a month? I don't know really. Could she have possibly gotten pregnant from a male mouse that was supposed to be female? All our mice are pet shop bought and some people say pet shops aren't always 100% on whether they have females or males even if they say they are all females.

1) How long til she delivers?
2) What signs should I be looking for?
3) Should I seperate her from her three other cagemates?
4) What do I need to know about culling and caring for the babies?
5) If she does give birth, is there anything I need to do during the process?

And anything else you feel is important!

I'm freaking out.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Mice are pregnant for 3 weeks (19-21 days) so unless you have a buck or a wild visitor she isn't pregnant. However, a bulbous belly can be a sign of illness or internal parasites, so if you're worried get her checked out.

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I must point out that the pic above is a *very* pregnant mouse... she is in labour as i type! lol

Willow xx

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh man... I can't afford to take her to the vet and I don't even know if we have any small animal vets around here. I don't want another mouse to die, darnit. :(

We do have wild mice but I don't know how they would get into the cage unless one of her cagemates is a male and we didn't check close enough.

God I hope she's not sick.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah we did, a very good look this time. My boyfriend got bit 5 times in the process from two of the mice, heh. But so far nothing out of the ordinary. But she kind of lost her pregnant look... I don't know where it went. Maybe it's because we moved her to the big cage? Where she has more room. I'm not sure...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts