Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am a 20 year old student living in Northern California and have just recently gotten into mouse breeding. I own two dogs, two cats, two rats, a rabbit, and two corn snakes.As well as my 13 adult mice and 19 two and three day old pinkies. I originally started breeding to feed my snakes since pinkies cost $1 each. I have had two litters born and have not culled any yet. Although I knew that I would fall in love with the mice and not want to kill the babies.

Having seen three half eaten pinkies thus far from mothers I am getting over my want to keep all the babies and I am planning on keeping only the females from these two litters so that I can have some replacement females since half of my adult females are at the end of their breeding life.

I decided to join this forum after stalking for a couple weeks and then discovering two half eaten pinkies tonight and the rest of the litter was cold. So advice would be much appreciated. I have given one mother all 19 babies and I am considering placing another female who is pregnant in to help with feedings, but I am not really sure what the best thing to do would be.

I am also not sure on my mice colors, so any help would that would be lovely.
A female named Epsilon.
All females Theta, Iota, Kappa, and Lambda.
A male who may be sick, Mu.
Little girl, not that great of a picture, Xi
My big male, Nu.
Large female, Omicron
Even larger female, Pi.
Female who currently has all the babies, Stumpy (only has half a tail).
She was my favorite, she has tan on the bottom of her chin and rump, unfortunately she ate two of her babies today, Sigma.

I also have a more yellow orange female with brown stripes and a band of white around her stomach. And yes, I do name my mice after the Greek Alphabet. :)

Nice to meet everyone!

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Hello and welcome!

Epsilon is a sooty recessive yellow or brindle. Theta, Iota, Kappa, and Lambda are PEWs (albinos) and black self. Mu looks to be a black merle. Xi seems to be an agouti with white markings. Nu is agouti merle. Omicron is probably a brindle merle with white spots, though she could be recessive yellow merle with white spots. Pi, I'm unsure. Stumpy is another agouti merle. Sigma is a black mouse with white spotting. She almost looks Dutch.

toffeeca said:
Thank you both. :) This seems like a very open welcoming community.
Yes, it really is! I love this place! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for all that information Jack. I do have one question. On Sigma, the black and white girl, she has a small spot of tan on her stomach as well as the bottom half of her chin and rump are tan. So does that have a name? Or is it just extra markings on her? Or will I not know until her babies get bigger. Right now quite a few of them have dark pigment on the the top of them and light stomachs, I don't know if that is normal for pinkies though.

Thank you windyhill!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.