Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I'm Daniel, im 20 years old from Manchester in England!

I'm a "feeder breeder" (booo hisssss) I only keep 1.4 mice, but have a bunch of rats, and would like to start breeding some extra for pets :)

I've only been on one other mouse forum and was banned instantly because of being a "feeder breeder" which put me off rodent forums thinking that i'd be hated by all, which I think is a little bit annoying, surely if you cared for animals then you would want them to be raised healthily and culled humainly and not deny someone knowledge just because they are bred for food. My mice n rats get cared for better than my snakes (and I think I get more enjoyment out of them too!)

Soo yeh, I hope you dont already hate me! Any questions fire away!!

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Yeah, we're pretty dang tolerant; geez some of us suspect that those tiny pink things would make good substitutes for cocktail weenies. (I tasted one by 'accident' once; they are pretty tasty...)

No, but really....I was assisting a delivery, you see...these things happen...err..nevermind.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
moustress said:
Yeah, we're pretty dang tolerant; geez some of us suspect that those tiny pink things would make good substitutes for cocktail weenies. (I tasted one by 'accident' once; they are pretty tasty...)

No, but really....I was assisting a delivery, you see...these things happen...err..nevermind.
You cant say that then not finish the story!

And thank you guys n gurls :)

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Sometimes I think about the Rainbow Bridge concept and then I cringe in horror at the very thought of that herd of rodents as they...no...no... don't go there, it's too horrible...

Yes, my meeces are pets, not pests, and i give them all the best I can, but, while I've never been a feeder breeder, I have 'sacrificed' (slain) numbers of them in the interest of science and just plain curiosity, and I believe that everyone has the right to humanely do with their critters what they will. I'm a member of that OTHER PETA; People for the EATing of Tasty Animals.

And you don't want to have as many as I do; I only do it because I'm always driven to do the best at whatever it is I do, or I stop and find something else that I can do well. There are side benefits, or were, when my mother was still alive; she was a snoop and loved to go through my things when I wasn't in the house (while she came in to 'watch' her grandchildren while I escaped to elsewhere) and terrified of meeces. Once I started keeping meeces on the same floor as my bedroom and my office, she stopped rifling through my things. Happy Mother's Day!, everyone!

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
Oh, the 'tasting' a pinkie thing....I had a marked satin fawn doe who munched two litters, and I managed to be there when she had her third coming. Normally, I would not have given her a third chance, but I really needed that litter for future projects. I let her take the first one, which she immediately chomped and killed; I managed to pluck five away from her (yes, and I still have all ten fingers), complete with sac and afterbirth, and I just did what needed to be done.

No! I did NOT lick them.

I used my index finger and thumb to gently pull off the sac, then pinched off the chord, wet another finger, stroked them until they took in air and went on to the next one; they come pretty fast sometimes; lost track of which finger I was using for what and that's pretty much the story. The pinkies were fostered onto another doe who had three or four babies about a week old, one that had been used like this before. They all survived and the rest if pretty shiny mousie history.

It's been said that no one does satins the way I do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.