Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My names Yelena, I'm 23 and the boards told me to introduce myself :p

I'm collecting Two male 6 week old brothers later today.

Am quite excited.

I'm using my old hamsters cage (yes, I've check its mouse safe...aparently) until tomorrow evening when I can get to my pet store and get it a big, bog standard wire cage. The hamster cage I'm going to use for tonight is a joke tbh. Its a nightmare to clean and all the little tunnel things break. Cant be bothered with that haha.

I'm concerned they may be able to get out of any cage at this age but then I've heard aquariums are bad for their breathing- could anyone confirm/deny this for me?

Thanks Mucho

-Yel

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
They can easily get out of a gap that you can get your little finger through. You need gaps of 6mm square or less. Depending on where you live you can buy 5mm mesh from garden centres and DIY shops to modify cages or make lids with. Aquariums need a full screen (5mm mesh as above) lid but if they are cleaned once a week and the tank isn't overcrowded there shouldn't be a problem. As with all cages you just need to make sure there is adequate ventilation/air circulation.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their absolutely tiny! Their in the cage at the moment and they've not stopped exploring!

My fiancée is picking up a small aquarium until we can get a proper cage.

One of them has red eyes, I believe this means hes sterile. Are there any draw backs/ positives from this? I'm not planning on breeding them so I dont think it matters however as he is with his brother I'm just wondering if this will have an effect on their relationship

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so pink/red eyes are normal? cool

Woke up last night to them both starring at me- was a tad creepy :D

Am going to get a new cage for them tonight as the one I'm using now is my hamsters old one and theres not much for them to play on

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I told my boyfriend that you lot said pink eyes where normal and he started giggling.

Turns out he was just winding me up....again. Typical!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Welcome to the forum. My very first doe was pink eyed, and though I decided to breed away from pink eyes, she had three litters for me before I retired her.

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
I didn't really care for the look. I like the look of the dark eyes better, and most of my mice were dark eyed to begin with. Now they all are! But she was a good mouse.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fair enough.

I'm not really a pink eyed kinda person (bad incident with an evil rabbit when I was 5) but my boys look kinda cool. Janco is all white with a big brown/grey splodge all over his nose. Looks like hes sneezed haha

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Why the name Janco? Is the other brother called Ari? Is that why you used Yelena? If you get another will you call him Valek?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My name is Yelena (unfortunate when your brought up in Liverpool I tell you :p ).

My boyfriend bought me the books for our first christmas as I'm a big book worm and obviously me and the lead have the same name. Cheesey, but kinda sweet that he took the time to think about the present- I got him a game for his playstation haha!

The brother is called Ari, dont know what I'd call another one but not Valek as my boyfriend is my Valek

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Very good. Pleased to meet another reader. Welcome to the mice world, and good luck with Ari and Janco. I'd love some pictures.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Welcome from a fellow newbie!! Can I be nosy and ask what books it is? I'm a major book worm and am always on the look for something new to read!

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
They're by Maria V. Snyder, and there are five books now, one more due late this year. The first is called Poison Study, the second is Magic Study, the third is Fire Study. Then the other two are set five years later, about a different character. Those ones are called Storm Glass, the second is Sea Glass, and Spy Glass is due out this year. I have nothing against recommending books; I'm an avid bookworm too. You like urban fantasy? Try Jim Butcher, the first is called Storm Front. In book 6 (12 are out not) he gets a dog called Mouse.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks for that!! Yeah I love urban fantasy and Sci-fi so already have a few of the Dreden files in my collection! I'll have a look out for those ones though, they aren't ones I've come across before!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Their really good books :) Something about Valek that makes me swoon lol!

I'm trying to get pics of the boys but my partners laptop has broken- or should I say he broke his laptop lol- and I cant get the pics onto my netbook.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts