Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I dont know about mice but horses can suffer from hay allergies and dogs from grass allergies so I guess it would be quite likely that other species can/do.It is more likely that they have one of the many viruses that mice get.

· Premium Member
5,218 Posts
well alas they dont seem to respond to treatment.If they are pets and not breeders all you can do is treat the symptoms by bathing the eyes,keeping clean and warm which I know you will already be doing.Antibiotics tend to be a waste of time since these things are almost always viral.If the mice dont lose body condition they may live quite normal lives but always show some of these symtoms.Even lab mice living in sterile conditions succumb to these sorts of things.If they are breeding stock I would advise you to clear them out.

· Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Well if you are able to cull thats what I mean or have them put to sleep at the vets.If not keep them away from other breeding stock and dont breed them just keep as pets until they pass on naturally.Overgrown teeth are unusual and would be easily seen if you could lift up the lips.If that was the problem the teeth would need cutting every few weeks,not practical with a mouse I would think.I had a rabbit with overgrown teeth and that was difficult enough to manage. Loss of weight is usually illness,tumours or old age.You seem to be having a run of bad luck. :cry:I just want to stress I would only consider the culling of breeding mice so that whatever it is isnt passed on,I'm not suggesting you should cull your pets.

· Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I just want to add that over the years mine have had everything going and it is very disheartening .I lost my two adult blue rat girls recently,one had a tumour in her mouth and the other died from a complication of giving birth.I was very dismayed.You are not alone in your bad luck but it passes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.