Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always heard you're not supposed to disturb a doe and her new litter for a couple days.. I have had 9 litters so far, and every time I nudge the doe off her nest, count the pups, and then leave her alone. I do this pretty much every day, just to check on the pups, and once they start getting fur I will take them out for a closer look. All of my does have been perfectly fine with this and have raised healthy litters.

Early this morning I had a young chocolate female give birth to 8 pups. When I checked her around 6am, she had pushed 3 of them outside the nest.. They were cold to the touch and had bedding stuck to their skin - she had obviously abandoned them immediately after giving birth. I picked up the babies, warmed them in my hands, reorganized the nest so that it was deeper and she would have a hard time pushing any out, and then replaced the 3 abandoned pups. I came home today around 4, and instantly went to check on her. This is what I found:

8 warm, clean, squirmy babies, each with a full milk belly.

So is there any merit to when people say NOT to handle newborns? Has anyone had any bad experiences with doing so?

·
Registered
249 Posts
...I count 9
I also have very good mothers that don't mind me getting in their nest if some newborns have been pushed out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whoops :oops: Apparantly I can't count!! I was rushed this morning as I was getting ready for work, but I swear I counted 8 when I checked them tonight.. But I guess the picture doesn't lie! I like when they are easily distinguishable with different coat colours... ;)

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
Some people swear you should never touch the babies, some handle from day one. I pick them up to get a count on the first day, and then usually leave them alone until the patterns start showing. That's not because I don't want to disturb the moms, but because I don't think they're that interesting until they start looking like something. Cute, yes. Interesting, no. Then I'll handle every day, pretty much. I handle even more so when the eyes are open, for nice, tame babies.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
I pick them up to get a count on the first day, and then usually leave them alone until the patterns start showing. That's not because I don't want to disturb the moms, but because I don't think they're that interesting until they start looking like something.
:lol: I'm the same, I find pinkies pretty dull!

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yeah im the same, I check over one day one, any that look weedy I will take out then leave them until day 3 when markings have appeared and weed out the undesirables again then. From then on I handle every day, all my does are laid back but I make sure to take them out and remove them from being able to see my fiddling with the nest. I also rub my hands slightly in some of the tanks woodshavings so I leave a familiar smell on the pinkies, I dont know if that works but Ive always done it and not had any problems yet.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pinkies are only boring for a couple days.. The instant they start getting fuzz, I love looking at them and trying to figure out what colour they'll end up :)

Ian, I don't even take the doe out.. I just lift up the carboard box I put over the nest and poke her till she moves to the other end of the cage. I also kind of like doing this, since if I ever had a doe who wasn't fine with me disturbing her, I would see it as a fault in her temperament and I would want to cull her and her litter anyways. As a pet and feeder breeder I have no room for cranky mice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts