Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a 3-4 gallon glass cannister with a matching glass lid. It's about 12 inches in diameter on the bottom and about 14-16 inches tall. It's made of fairly heavy glass, but not too heavy for me to lift for cleaning. The lid is fairly heavy, and I can attach some metal clips to hold it an 1/8 of an inch or so off the edge, so air can circulate.

Would this be an unsafe or unkind habitat for a mouse whom I intend to handle and let explore other areas daily? Would it be better to construct a mesh lid? I would hate to do that because the lid it comes with is decorative. Or should I just go with the traditional aquarium, which I think is boring...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
moustress said:
That would totally inadequate for good ventilation.
I worried about that. How many square inches of ventilation space does one mouse need?

I didn't buy it since it was so expensive and I wanted to be sure first. If I do the mesh lid would the cannister itself be large enough for a mouse? Maybe I better think of something else. I have a small apartment so anything I get will have to be part of the furnishings. I can't do a separate room for bins or whatever.

I'm disabled so this will be my sole companion, I want to be as prepared and knowledgeable as I can, while still fitting it into my rather structured life.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wyliegirl said:
lenght:10
width:7
is the smallest allowed for 1 mouse i would go bigger because you need to add toys,access
Hi, I'm back and still hoping to be able to do this. The 12 inch diameter is larger than this size:

10 x 7 = 70 sq. in.

3.14 x 36 = 113 sq. in.

So the question remaining is exactly how many square inches of ventilation is needed? A 1/4 inch gap in the lid would give me 9 sq. inches of ventilation. How much is usually available? For instance, if you cut two 3x3 holes and covered them with aluminum window screen, that would be the same 9 sq.in. ventilation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.