Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to the store to get feeders today and thought it MIGHT be a good idea to go ahead and get a few females and a male to start my breeding. Now, I've bred mice that were intended as feeders before and had good results, but that was a long time ago. I really wish I could get good quality mice from a breeder, but the pet store is the closest thing to me right now that sells live mice of both sexes.

I have a 10g tank or a plastic tub with wire mesh on the sides. The tub I believe was a 21qt tub? Its about the same size as a 10g tank as far as the foot print. I just have to put a hole in the side for the water bottle. IF I decide to get a few mice then how many should I get for an enclosure this size?

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Do you know the measurements in cm or inches? American and English gallons are different so you might get some different and confusing answers!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I took another look and its slightly less than a standard 10g tank. In measurements, a 10g tank is about 20 1/4"L x 10 1/2"W x 12 9/16"H. The plastic tub enclosure is slightly smaller than this. Probably about 3/4 of the size.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Approx 15 x 8 x 9 inches is 3/4 of those measurements. IMO you wouldn't want more than a pair in there if you're breeding because you have to allow room for the babies as well. You also need at least three tanks - one for breeding/mum raising the litter, one for the buck when he's separated after mating the doe, and one for the baby bucks (if you keep any that is). The baby does can stay with their mother. If you're going to start breeding you might want to invest in some plastic boxes as a lot of people convert these into cheap cages (see separate thread on how to make them).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have plenty of tanks to use for separating bucks and such. I also plan on making several tubs into enclosures. I have a huge roll of wire mesh to use for that. All I need are some tubs.

I went ahead and got a male and two females. I set them up in the tub. The male is very interesting. His fur is a creamy tan color and the fur around his nose is darker, like a siamese cat. And his fur is longer than I'm used to seeing on a mouse. The two females are both gray, but one's fur looks a little longer too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts