Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is something from my mousery. :) Because I have a quite collection, I introduce only a few mice :D

Cyra's North Country, sh bone (or as you know cream), female

Kun oli ääni kummanlainen, sh bone (cream), female

World In A Rain Drop, sh pew, female

Rapunzel's Flight Of The Phoenix, shs pei, male

Rapunzel's The Sunshine State, shs pei, female

A cup of black :) (note: non of our blacks aren't a^e/a^e. Only a normal a/a.. I really would like to have someday extreme black mice to Finland)

Sanders Soundy, sh black, female

Sanders Afrodite, shs black, female

Sanders Artemis, shs black, female

Star Circus, shs black, male

And some pet mice..

Noddyn Fulvius Taurus, shs dove tan, male

Family, shs black broken mm, male

Täysikuun Sello, sh black fox, male

-Kaisu

(edit: One variety was named wrong.)

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
I adore those blacks!!! They are amazingly good for not being extreme, they must have been worked on very very well!!

Can I steal your Ivory satins please? I need some desperately! hehehe

Willow xx

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WillowDragon said:
I adore those blacks!!! They are amazingly good for not being extreme, they must have been worked on very very well!!
Thank you :) We surely have one breeder (Sanders) who has been breeding blacks many years.
WillowDragon said:
Can I steal your Ivory satins please? I need some desperately! hehehe
Haha, sure. It's just a bit too long way to come and steal :D

Jack Garcia: You are right. ...Maybe we who have mice like these breeds mice too seriously :lol: But still.. It's fun to take it so :D

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
I had read somewhere that the extreme gene isn't separate from the a locus, but is the sort of thing that requires conservation, as it is an additive factor. Any cross outside the line dilutes the extreme factor. some color factors are like this in other mammals as well, especially, I suspect, with eumelanin based hues.

You are very close to having a real 'e', unless I am sorely mistaken. I should go ask Rapunzel; she a fount of info, as are her compatriots.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
If you can find WF Hollander's "An extreme non-agouti mutant in the mouse," it discusses the a(e) allele and its place at the very bottom of the A-locus. I used to have a paper copy somewhere, but I have no idea where I've placed it. :oops:

I suspect that good a/a and ae/ae have an area of overlap in terms of how they look, but they are separate alleles as the article discusses. I also suspect (but couldn't prove) that many good a/a mice are also U/U (i.e. umbrous). The few proper "very dark" blacks I've produced have been U/* or U/U.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
The map is not the territory. Black comes in many shades; all the alleles are in the same location, differing only by composition as to how much pigment concentration is manufactured. The modifier is the unique composition, not a separate component. The true is same of other colors as well. The thing that determines the appearance is a chemical and positional difference, not something discrete like a wooden block. The observed change reflects the position and shape of the chemicals in the genetic material, which in turn changes the size, and/or shape and/or position of the granule that contains the pigment. the modifier in question may not even be on the same segment of DNA as the locus it affects.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Found it:

W.F. Hollander and John W. Gowen said:
...it is clear that the extreme non-agouti type is a new allele in the A-series, rather than an incidentally incorporated modifier...
taken from An Extreme Non-Agouti Mutant in the Mouse, The Journal of Heredity, v.47 p.222.

The article also discusses how the original mutation was first discovered and why it cannot be a crossover of some sort.

If you'd like, I can see if I can't scan and email you the whole article.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
Thanks. As you know, I'm very aware of copyright laws, with my work background. Distributing an article for private use, and for educational purposes, is legal as long as one person has paid for the information (and I have, through my membership to the library). It would be illegal only if I were charging WillowDragon money or if I were claiming that I wrote the article. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.