Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i have read about genetics and cant grasp this at all......... duh.......... maybe one day i might get it..... lol

quick question if you breed two of the same colour ( say both black) will all the young be black, in other words, same as parents.

Thankyou.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
No, broken is a recessive gene so if both parents are broken you will get broken babies. If you're trying to work out what the results of a certain pairing will be you need to know what marking/colour etc the parents are, what they carry or could carry and you need to know which genes are recessive/dominant etc and how they interact with each other. There are some genetics websites in a post in this section that might help you with the basics of each locus (the letters that you see people use as a genetic code for what colour etc a mouse is).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hiya mousebreeder....

going back to brocken marked mice .... im sure I read somewhere you can get a BEW from these.... if this is so am I right in thinking although it is a BEW to look at really it is a broken marked that looks like a BEW?

Thankyou

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Yes you can create BEWs from brokens, and yes you are correct they are genetically brokens - it is a white spotting gene (though to our eyes it's the coloured bits that are the spots even though this is untrue) and a BEWs is basically a broken that is completely covered in the white spotting gene leaving no colour.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.