Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help?

have a mouse that i think looks poorly, but im not sure if she is.

shes just very quiet and was sleeping by herself - i took her out and put her in her own tub incase she was poorly and as she was getting fed up with the other girls checking on her.

shes eating and drinking fine + shes pooing etc fine and comes to live more when you pick her up.

but she is sleeping a lot and looks rather dozy all the time?

what could be wrong? x

·
Registered
982 Posts
I find that in my big doe groups there's always one (often 2 or 3) who are quieter than the rest and don't enjoy running round like a lunatic all the time, but they "stick out" because they appear different to the others when in fact they're quite more sedated and subdued.

It also could be she didn't handle the move aswell as the others and is taking her time to settle in, I think you're doing the right thing keeping her by herself for a bit and giving her extra tlc but don't keep her on her own too long or she might not want to mix in with your doe group again ;)

Unless she's showing obvious signs of illness like sneezing, coughing, rattling chest (put her to your ear) or her coat looks "manky" like untidy, then I shouldn't worry too much.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey again just to fill u in i went to the vets - the vet looked her over and weighed her. she listenened to her chest and couldnt hear any rattling etc she then pinched the scruff of her neck and the skin stayed in a pinched position, the vet said she thinks shes dehydrated , the vet has given me a pot to get a wee sample and has given me x2 1ml syringes to get some water into her.what do u guys reckon x

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Yeah good luck with a urine sample from a mouse :roll: I think if she's dehydrated the best thing to give her is Dioralyte for children, I've used it with mice before and it works wonders. However if you give her that and of course water and she still hasn't perked up in a few hours then there's something else going on.

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
How completly ridiculous of the vet to ask for a urine sample.Caits suggestion of dirolyte is good,lectade is the animal equivalent and available from online pet pharmacies although there obviously is no time for that now.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ive managed to get a bit of wee into the pot but not enough , the vet was such a cow too! cait ive brought some dioralyte from tescos in blackcurrant sachet form, it says mix a sachet in 200ml of water, adults 1 or 2 sachets after loose motion, children 1 sachet and infants 1 and a half times the normal 24hour feed volume x

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I just mixed as the packet directed for babies and filled their water bottle with it and let them drink at will. You could offer your mouse some from the syringe if you like, but she may take it better from a source she is used to drinking from. Also if you leave the water bottle with the solution in the cage overnight it would be a good idea to also add one with just plain water in.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive done it, i mixed up 1 sachet into 200ml of water, ive filled up her warerbottle with it and have managed to get 0.3ml into her using the syringe. i f this stuff doesnt work or it turns out to be something else what can i do. ive managed to get some wee so should i still keep collecting it and give it to the vet on tues x

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Tuesday will be too late for the mouse if it is anything serious as they go downhill very quickly. If it is something else we'd need to know what in order to advise on what to do. For now just keep your eye on her and see how the rehydration does for her.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
she looks better in herself now, we had her out for a bit after giving her some of that stuff and she was running around like a loony checking everything out on the sofa and she cuddled up to dad in his pocket for a few mins too :)
her breathing is still a bit fast but i think its looking better (not sure if it is or if its just me wishful thinking - but can only hope cant i)
as for eating - ive just put her back in her tub, she had a bit of food in her bowl so thought id leave it and fill it up in the morning, went and sat down and watched her and the greedy cat ate the lot, i had to fill her bowl up again, shes eating like shes scared someones gonna take it away from her.
its crazy!!! x

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just to update u, i think maisie is a little better today, her breathing i still fast but its better.
she has been drinking lots of the dirolyte mix i made her, has had around 3 syringe fulls since about half 10ish last night and is taking it well, her skin doesnt stay pinched it goes straight back down - im just wondering though (this may sound stupid) but she doesnt appear to be drinking from her waterbottle, not at all! im thinking she may not know what it is or how to use it, i know mice can smell water but she doesnt look as though she knows what it is, so ive out a tiny bit in a bowl and showed her it, and she licked a little bit. so i dunno?

also, in case its not just the dehydration thing ive been on http://www.vet-medic.com/ and described everything to them and they can prescribe antibiotics or whatever needed.
i know its not the best solution but that vet yesterday was a waste of space.

i was thinking about it last night, you know she told me to get a wee sample, if the mouse was as dehydrated as she insisted, maisie wouldnt be weeing anyway?

:?:

what do you reckon? x

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
as I said before I think the vet is completly ridiculous.Vet medic will only prescribe antibiotics with a valid prescription from your vet.Catch 22,although the vet by law has to supply one you still have to have the initial consultation.Good for long time illness needing repeat prescriptions but can be a bit of a thorny subject asking for one from your vet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts