Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i've come accross an emergency. I've just checked up on one of my does to find her eating one of her babies alive ( i had to cull the pup) and now I have to cull the mother (I can't use her for breeding or as a 'midwife'). I now have to hand raise the litter, but will only do so if anyone is interested in buying them off of me when they're old enough.

Even if you're not certain, please can you let me know ASAP if you'd be interested!

- Date of birth/age: currently 10 days old
- Sex: male d female
- Colour/variety: 6 champagne (some with tan, one with broken), 1 chocolate self.
- Price: £3 each
- Collectable from: Bracknell or a show
- What the mouse carries (e.g. dove tan carrying chocolate): Mother- Chocolate Tan Satin Father-PEW LH Satin
- If it is a doe, whether or not it has already had a litter: None have had litters
- Reason for sale: Surplus

·
Premium Member
2,305 Posts
At the risk of sounding a little indelicate... if they are surplus and you don't intend to keep any of these babies, why bother to hand raise them?

And honestly, its a bit daft putting them up for sale, when you don't even know if they will survive til 5 or 6 weeks old anyway.

Also the fact that the mum started munching them thins old, may well mean there is something wrong with the babies.

W xx

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's tried to eat her half sister's litter(the pups were at the same age as the ones now), and only got one before I removed her, but that when she younger a tad younger. I've had that happen before, when they just don't know what to do, killed off a few from someone elses litter, and they acctually make excellent mothers. At both baby munching occasions this female only ate the skin and fur and left the rest.

I've culled to only keep a few which one of my friend has requested that I keep. I know it was silly putting an ad up, but I was sobbing at the time (I've been having a crying day). They're healthy looking babys, well developed, not underweight, everything in the right place, no resp diseases, and I know that stuff can go wrong inside, but if I saw that anything was wrong with any baby, I would cull as I have done previously.

I've hand raised litters before, and I know to cull if any of them deteriorate or look ill.

I know it all sounds stupid though, but there is method to my madness- if that's the right phrase..

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you can't make use of her atleast give her a chance of being someone's much loved pet, before you cull her.

I would take her if I could get her to me as I have a lone female mouse who is getting rather lonely so she needs a tank partner, and she is strictly pet only.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've decided to keep her anyway :) She's a stunning mouse, and I have someone interested in a trio of non breeders (yay!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts