Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
flicker, my blue doe gave birth yesterday lunchtime. :D
there are only 4 but they all seem ok :)
Leigh thinks there are 3 bucks and 1 doe, shame it was't the other way round :( I am chuffed though and can't wait till they colour up to see what they are, as dad is a seal point siam.
I dont know if any blue point likely, or if this takes a few generations. If anyone would advise on this i would be greatfull of the help :?:
Leigh's taken some pics so, Pics to follow..

PS Leigh will you please get your **** in gear and post your litters,so everone can see what we have so far :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,254 Posts
it takes several generations and they always(in my experience)have poor colour points and very pale body colour.Any I have had have been a disappointment,you might strike lucky though.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
here u go moaners ;)

the proud father, miaggi,

heres pregnant flicker,

and again with a pregnant breeze,

flicker a little while after her bubs were born,

and giving them a wash :)

her 4 little bubs,

hopefully breeze will pop in the next day or 2, x

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
this was 1 of the bubs once theyd started to colour up,

and this is him now with a bit of fur :)

me and mum are very chuffed with these black bubs, not a single white fault :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
NaomiR said:
do they need black nails?? oo err :?
Blacks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The black is a very popular self variety and is one of the three most frequently exhibited, along with the PEW and cream. A variety suitable for the beginner as well as the experienced fancier, blacks can be a lot harder to breed than novices might imagine. Any colour fault in a black, such as a tan vent, white hair or white toenail will stand out against the dark background rather than remain unnoticed. The only outcross advocated for a black is another black, so they tend to remain very inbred.
As extreme non-agoutis with a lot of pigment, blacks are naturally smaller mice. It is not possible to get a black mouse of the same size and type as a huge PEW and some allowance is made for this. Despite this breeders should never use weedy or weak specimens as breeding stock and must always be aware of the quality required of a show mouse. Although an outcross may not be needed for colour in a black, it may be needed to boost the immune system. In my experience inbred blacks (as all show blacks are) are prone to illness more than other varieties. By only breeding from the disease-resistant mice and by outcrossing if needed, the breeder should be able to keep on top of this.

A good black should be hardly visible - by which I mean that it should feel like you are looking into a black hole. The best black I have ever seen had this effect on me and I have never forgotten it. It was so deeply black that it was hard to see its features because it was so uniformly coloured. The breeder of this black also never benched blacks that were tinted with other colours - they were black through and through. I have seen blacks exhibited with casts of other colours, notably chocolate and occasionally silver/blue, and these mice were just lacking that pure blackness that would have made them winners. One fault in the poorer of these mice was the colouring of the inside of the ears, which was not jet black.

The most difficult fault to eliminate from a black is probably the tan vent, which needs a combination of careful selection of breeding stock and sometimes outcrossing to a different strain of blacks with less tan. The artificial colouring of mice is strictly prohibited by the NMC rules, and any person doing this to make their mouse blacker would be disqualified. However, the plucking of an odd white hair is not banned and some top breeders will do this before a show.

This is taken from the showing section of fancy mice info> Appologies in advance if I am doing wrong by copy and pasting, mods if need please remove.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Its quite important for the dark selfs (and tans). I breed blues and blacks and it is something to look out for but at the moment I am more concerned with the tan vents which seem to strike at random. I can have two fantastic parents, no tan on the vents and all the babies will be covered in tan!!

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
Colour should be carried out throughout and yes show blacks especially have every toenail coloured or they are not likely to win anything. As Ian says the darker colours should have blue, chocolate etc nails to match.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.