Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Harlequin my mothering doe has a really flaky slightly red tail. I've noticed her grooming it but no more then usual.
so I dont know what has caused this and if there is anything I could put on it to moisturise it?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ringtail is usually caused usually by a lack of humidity, sometimes it can be related to diet. One of the usual suspects for drying out the air too much is air con. I have only ever seen it in a litter of rescue rats I took in a couple of years ago. In some of the cases, the effect was so bad that the ends of the tails actually went necrotic and dropped off. I wish I had taken pics. The link below is excellent and does show pictures.

http://ratguide.com/health/integumentar ... ngtail.php

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I have seen something similar a couple of times in mice, but it doesn't match the ringtail link supplied and has never been too serious. All I did to clear it up was apply Johnson's tea tree skin cream for small animals every other day. This seemed to clear it up within a couple of weeks with no lasting effects and no loss of tail etc. Both times it happened in my mice it was to adult does, though this could easily be coincidence as this is obviously what I have most of, being a breeder.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks mousebreeder I will buy some of the tea tree cream.
It doesnt look uneven the size and shape of her tail is fine it is just flaky a slightly red looking. She doesnt seem at all
in any pain so hopefully it will clear up with the cream.
Thanks a lot peeps :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts