Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
It will be 4 days tonight since my female mouse had babies. Being new to the whole thing i had a few questions. I have read that you can start handling them around 4 days old, i am still very hesitant about doing this. The mother is very relaxed and has no problem with me disturbing her nest. I still feel like im going to hurt them by picking them up. Also i took a pic and just wanted to know if they are proper size and what not. This is the first litter iv ever had and im very hesitant about disturbing the cage. Also the bedding in the cage is a mix of toilet paper, wood shavings, and newspaper, but all she will bring into the nest is the newspaper, i find this to be
odd.

babymice.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
If I was a mouse I'd probably line the nest with newspaper too :lol: The woodshavings are for the 'flooring' and they wouldn't usually move them to the nest, and toilet paper is very soft and ironically not very absorbent so it gets screwed up and buried quickly, also not good for a nest you need for at least 3-4 weeks (in the mouse's mind). I wouldn't worry about her using newspaper at all. If you want to you could offer some cross cut shredded paper for her to add in if she wants to.

I can't see much of the babies from that pic but they look ok from what is showing :p I see their colouring is starting to come through, which is right if they are 4 days old. If the mother is relaxed as you say then go ahead and start handling the babies. The sooner the better from now on to make them nice and tame - you'll be glad when their eyes start to open! Have you read up on the proper method for handling babies or would you like some info?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could always use some good info. The one problem is that her nest is a large can of nuts that i washed out. It is only large enough to fit one hand into, and being that the babies are at the back i just cant figure a way of getting to them. She also has the whole entire can filled with bedding. I always feel bad pulling out the bedding to see them because she has to fix it when im done. I know if someone came into my room and started taking all my stuff out i would be very upset haha.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
That's not a good place for a nest from your point of view, so when the babies are a little older and you change the bedding, I'd suggest taking it away and replacing with something without a bottom that you can lift off to look at the babies. For now you might want to read this: http://www.fancymice.info/pups.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts