Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so am totally new to this and not really aware of breed types/colourings etc. Mum and dad were sold to me as "seal points" from a hobby breeder. I get that they are not show standard etc but as close to it as I think we have in New Zealand. lol. ;) There are 9 in total. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
They look like seal point siamese selfs and brokens to me. I can see what looks like a white, if it is white all over it's probably a siamese with markings all over (like a black eyed white but with ruby eyes) or a siamese with pink eye dilution as well (ie dove) as siamese mice can't carry the albino gene.

Smeezy mice are so pretty :)

Sarah xxx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Spider_Monkey, thanks for the greeting in my 'introduction'.

I think that you have different breed names in New Zealand; in UK we would call these Himalayans. ( two 'Siamese genes' makes a Siamese, one Siamese gene makes a Himalayan - a white mouse with coloured points).

What you have there is a mixture of solid coloureds and brokens in Siamese/Himalayan.
The beige-brown coloured babies will darken on their faces/ears etc to become Siamese. The siamese brokens will look very pretty when their colour develops.

The white babies may stay as self whites or they may develop dark points like the parents and become Himalayans.
The parents look like longhaireds to me. Unfortunately mice are not like cavy longhaireds; don't expect them to trip over their coats! Although they can look impressive as babies by the time they are 8-10 weeks old, most just look a bit ruffled and shaggy. If the parents are both longhaired, the babies will be longhaired too.

·
Premium Member
3,106 Posts
I know what you mean, but if they're not selectively bred they could have darker bodies than we think of himalayans having. Plus I went for the path of least resistance wih the appearance of the white baby :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts