Pet Mice Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This first litter (and last) was more of an accident so forgive my naiviety. but just need some pointers:
They are a week old and are beginning to grow fur
Like when can I handle them?
When can I clean the cage out?
When to sex etc. Thanks :)

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
You can handle them, and clean the cage, from the first day, on. It really depends on the doe's temperament, and if she is very trusting of you, then it is fine to handle them on the first day. :)
You should be fine handling them at the age they are now, and cleaning the cage should be no problem! :p
Sexing, you can try whenever you'd like. Boys when they're small, tend to have a slightly larger, and slightly further forward 'nub' and girls have a smaller, more towards the butt 'nub'. :lol: :?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brill thanks :) mum seems to be fine with me and I did stroke them earlier (and also have now posted up some pics that I took this evening holding them).

Will attempt sexing tomorrow and then try again a week or so later just to see the comparisons :) I still don't really know how many there are as they are in a little pile. lol.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
The best way to sex, is to compare some of the babies next to one another. If you look at two, and they look different, you know that one is a boy, and one is a girl. :)

But if you're just looking one at a time, it can be harder, because they look very similar 'down there' at such a young age.
Also at about 8-9 days, you can start to see nipples on the girls, and less-so on the boys. :)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I handle my litters starting at day 3,unless I know the doe wont mind.
I dont clean the cage out until they are up and walking around.
As for sexing, I sex mine on day 1, but its easier once they are slightly older (week or more)
The mlaes have more of a space on them down there.
It is easier to do it 2 at a time.

Good luck :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts